Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just helped a kid get "a piece of junk" out of his driveway for a couple hundred bucks. It is a 1968 standard hard top with a 302 2 V that absolutely purrs! The paint job looks to be the original (maroon or burgundy) and is pretty well shot. There is minor rust in a few spots as far as I can tell, but the frame appears straight as an arrow, and all the original hardware is either on the car, or in the glove box. The interior is fair, except for a crack in the dash and I'll probably replace the center console.....

It appears that the guy before this kid I bought it from added sway bars, centerline rims and rear shocks which respond to an air hose (there is a valve just below the rear license plate). As I said, I'm new to this (though I'm a late starter) so I'm not sure what all this stuff is. I suspect that somebody was rough on the car at some point, as the left-side shock tower is cracked and the upper control arms have small cracks in them near the four bolts. I'm having the engine pulled and the shock tower problem fixed (my guy is going to replace the whole side. When I can afford it, I will replace the upper control arms (Will Mustang parts from the same year do?) and possibly the whole front suspension. Then, I'm looking at the headers, exhaust, intake, valve covers, etc. I guess the paint job and interior should wait.

Anyway, I am certainly not a purist, so it won't be a traditional restoration, but I am absolutely in love with this car and just cannot wait to get things done! Finding parts appears to be a challenge, but I am open to suggestions.

Whoa, I know this is a long letter, but anyone who's gotten this far and has any advice would be deeply appreciated! I'll try to do a "before and after" photo shoot, but I'm just a working man, so the "after" is gonna take some time.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
885 Posts
John,

Welcome to mercurycougar.net. This site is a valuable resource, as I came to find out last December when I joined. Now I'm hooked. I recently completed minor body work, paint, and new suspension and steering on my '70. I recommend you search the forums for topics related to whatever stage of your project is current. You're sure to find answers to any questions you have. If you don't, you just need ask.

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi John, welcome to the site! Great people here so if you have any questions...ask away. .... Boy, I would sure like to be able to get "a piece of junk" :1poke: like you for a couple of hundred! As for repairing your coug...parts should not be a "challenge". Lots of parts interchange with mustangs of the same year. And check the "links" section on the left of the home page and click on vendors. The most important piece of advice would be to have fun working on your coug:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!! Feels like home! Now, if I could just stop looking in my driveway every five minutes......Yep, it's still there.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
that will never end :) I always check my driveway to look at the cars. Almost tempted to chain my dogs to them when the neighbour parties.

Welcome to the site, hope you stick around and post lots and share pictures with us.

Rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny Rick. I've got a real friendly pit-bull who jumped right on the hood and fell asleep as soon as I parked it! The paint is trashed right now, but after It's finished, I guess I'll get a cover with a bed on it, cause he ain't moving. GOT TO GET A PICTURE OF THIS!

jc

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I rarely let me dogs out the front (they like cats to much ;)) but when I do, and the doors in the cars are open, they're right in there. I have 2 Boxers.

Rick

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Welcome aboard, John.
The Mustang parts for suspension, brakes, steering, shock towers and under hood sheet metal are the same as the Cougar. Most vendors sell complete suspension kits so if you are planning on doing a rebuild those kits will save you some $$.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
welcome to mercury cougar net. first things first if you havent regestered the cat with phil parcells with the national cougar club i suggest you do so. and two parts are not as hard as you may think. dont fall for the whole ebay (rare) that you have to have it because it will never come up again. cougars are not problematic rare and most if not all parts can be had reasonable. i suggest you become familiar with our link section here as it has a great listing of cougar suppliers as well as non cougar suppliers and clubs. once again congradualations on your find. you can get to the registar through our link section and the cougar club of america link.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Welcome

Hi John,
Always good to hear that another cat's been saved.
You definatly want to get rid of all tyhe cracks and breaks in your Detroit Iron.
Our Rotti,(named Cinder) loves sleeping in the cat also.
Kinda makes you wish someone would try to get something out of, or off of the car.
Mustang stuff works most of the time and the Cougar specific stuff can be found right here by links or on the for sale forum.
And you can also send private messages here by useing the memberlist. I have never seen someone ask a Cougar specific question at this forum that has not been answered by someone that knew the answer, this is usually two or three people that agree on the question. There is lots of knowledge here.
Plese keep us posted with the new "Project"!
Misery loves company...
shane:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts