Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In last night's chat, I was trying to tell some of you about the latest development on my convertible rehab. With all the different conversations going on, it was near impossible. So here's what happened.

When they first started the rebuild last April or May, they found a lot of loose steel in the transmission. It was sent out to a tranny shop for a rebuild. A week later, it came back all bright and shiny.

Meanwhile, the body went to the paint shop and there it remained, largely due to my own fault trusting a cousin to get the right quarter, for six months. Finally, in late November, they got enough done on the body work to send it back to the mechanic to put the motor in before the paint goes on.

The motor went in, no problem. The transmission, however, wasn't going together right. The mechanic thought the torque converter was wrong. He called the tranny shop and they said it wasn't the wrong one, it was just tight. "Force it together," was their solution. Force it he did and sure enough it went together.

The only problem was, it was indeed the wrong converter and when they started the engine, the transmission just spun and spun. The pump had blown and the converter was converted to scrap iron. Out came the transmission to be sent once again to the tranny shop for another overhaul and new pump. It is due back today or Monday. I'm going to have it checked by another mechanic to be sure they didn't rig something up to get it out of the shop AND I'm not paying for the tranny rebuild. I haven't told them that last bit yet.

Meanwhile, it is back in the paint shop and is due to be painted next week. That is, it will be if I can get the new convertible top through the snow to the shop. I should - should, mind you - get the car back sometime in January. Then, I'll drive it Leon's house in Australia so I can put the top down...

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wouldn't pay for the tranny rebuild either! Mechanic should have known that "forcing" is rarely an acceptable solution, if ever.

I've looked at your pics on cardomain.com, very nice.

Good luck on getting back on schedule (no sarcasm, I mean it).

·
Registered
3 Posts
new top for 72xr7???

Hey, I noticed that you just got or are getting a new top. Where is the best place to pick one up? and is it a do it yourself project? Thanks Kim

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Lookung forward to the new Pics. Chas... Hang in there .... There's always something......

Nice to have you back!!!!
Don

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: new top for 72xr7???

kdp89445 said:
Hey, I noticed that you just got or are getting a new top. Where is the best place to pick one up? and is it a do it yourself project? Thanks Kim
Kim,

The "new" top is an original I bought from another member here. He had it "hanging from the rafters" since it was removed from his wrecked 72 many years ago. Hopefully, hanging it has prevented shrikage or other damage and it will go on and work.

If not, I'll be looking around for a new one, too. I'm told they run about $500 and are available at many of the vendors.

AutoKrafters?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Chas

I was wondering how the vert was doing. There are always those "bumps in the road" aren't there? It will get there. Can't wait to see new pictures.

Mine(Kitty) is waiting for the Cat(Ginger) from Delaware before I put the interior in. Should have lots of other good parts too. I hope it is as nice as what he says it is. He said the body is in fair condition but, didn't want to judge it. Who was the other buyer? Do you know?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More work done!

I took the top to them today and the cougar has doors, fenders, quarters, a hood and a trunk! Of course, they're all in primer, but at least it's one piece. Once they get the top on they'll either paint it or send it back up the hill to get the transmission in. It comes back tomorrow.

Sorry, Judy, I don't remember who it was bought the other car. It was someone on the email list, about four months ago or so. I guess you could check the archives... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts