Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 68 with some modifications, one of which appears to be some kind of adjustable rear shocks. Don't laugh, I'm new at this. The car was sagging and scraping the oversized tires all the way home, then in my driveway, I hook up an air hose to a valve that was installed below the rear bumper and the car lifted two or three inches. I jumped back in and took it for a spin and it feels great! What, no new leaf springs needed? From the valve to the shocks, there are just these thin plastic tubes with hand-tight fittings. What do I have? I can't read the letters stamped on the shocks.

jc

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you have air shocks. they are used by alot of people to lift the rear end of the car in leiu of gettting new rear leaf springs. but they put higher levels of stress at the top mounting point where the shocks attach. that can crack overtime as it was not made to support the weight of the car. if i were you id buy new leaf springs as soon as you can if they were sagging as much as you said they were. im not an air shock fan if you cant tell. but well, they are a TEMPORARY fix at least. just try not to keep em too long . oh yeah. welcome aboard :)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
It doesn't necessarily mean your leaf springs are shot. Like your Cougar, mine had oversized tires and air shocks. Without the airshocks the tires would have rubbed the wheel wells.

After installing normal tires and wheels and KYB gas shocks it sits fine. My guess is it had air shocks on it since the 70s for that raked look that was so popular.......it may have saved the springs over time by not loading them up.

Before replacing the leafs, put on new shocks and see how it sits. I agree with Steve, if it was used to 'fix' bad leafs it could damage the mounting areas and cause structural cracks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take the Air Shocks off and throw them in to the GARBAGE.

I had a Plymouth Duster with them that actually TORE the rear upper shock mounts out of the car. Not a pretty sight.

:angryfi:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Toss them in the garbage. I've seen them rip the reinforcement panel off of a 69 Cougar, a parts car fortunately. Also, if the valving is not set up right, turning a corner hard will let the air shift from one shock to another and give you some serious body movement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Alot of good points! Thank you! I just had my front left shock tower done (the guy replaced the whole side) and it's looking pretty pricey, as he pulled the engine to do it. I'm letting a little bit of the air out of the rear shocks to rely more on the leafs, until I can replace them (shocks and leafs).

Thanks for the heads up!

jc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts