Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Which color should it (72 XR-7 convertible) be???

• RED

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • BLUE

Votes: 13 54.2%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to choose a color and it has come down to red or blue. I could toss a flipping coin it's so close. I really can't make up my mind.

There's a somewhat scientific value to having a poll since Cougar owners have an idea of what they like and therefore what a someday potential buyer might like, so...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think a candy apple red with a pearl white top would have good contrast. Maybe some pinstripes down the sides?

·
Registered
794 Posts
you got to be more specific. What kind of red/blue are we talking?
If you were to put a light blue up against rio red, I would pick rio red.
If you were to put grabber blue up against a metallic red. I would pick the grabber blue.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Chas-
If we are talking about the 'vert-
IMHO red is used too often by folks that think a ragtop HAS to be red. As crazycat said, it really does come down to specifics about shades. I prefer black tops/interior, but they don't look right with all colors. Although my ragtop is currently red, I ultimately hope to paint it bright yellow with black top and interior. So, long story short, given your choice of colors I would have to say blue.

If we are talking about the hardtop-
Again IMHO- go for the brightest red you can find.

ragcat
Chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
evilmess said:
I'm partial to med/dark blue, especially if it has a light metal flake in it. :)
That Makes two of us!

I love the Color of your car! I've made your car my Desk Top

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the blues have it...

The vote here is the exact ratio as the email group. 8 to 4 for blue here and 6 to 3 for blue there. Seems two out of three Cougar owners prefer blue.

I intentionally did not specify which red or blue. I wanted to see what everyone thought of the colors in general.

I found a photo of the red without any problem:
http://www.chrysler.com/pt_cruiser/exterior/infernored.html

The blue I had trouble with. Nothing on the net that I can find. It's a blue metallic used on 1997 T-birds. Probably other years, too, but NOT 2002. 2002 T-bird blue is different, has aqua in it.

Hey, the blue is a lot like the smiley there on the left, the one getting poked with a stick. Just a bit lighter than that and metallic.
:1poke: <--- that guy...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
GO BLUE!

Chas, I say go blue! Even though my '98 Dakota is red and I love that too but, not on a '73.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
'72

Oh, the '72! Blue!!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I like the reds... however... in that body style i like the forest green or that goldish/copper color.... blue is ok but.... it should be a deep metalflake that looks three feet thick with a white top.... but I do love that copper.... See AlphaCat's photo in the photos section.

Don:D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
black

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RICK!

dark7068 said:
Wineberry Metallic with a silver base. Umm, like this.
Where the hell you been hiding THAT little beauty???

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, here are the colors...

They did the blue sample today, so I took a photo of both. Just to remind you, the red is Inferno Red, the blue is Thunderbird Blue Metallic...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hey. That's my color. Inferno Red is the newer version of Radiant red. Only difference is Inferno red is a bunch more expensive cause it's a 3 stage paint and has pearlescent in the clear.

Time to pull out the "Chicks like red cars card again"

Radiant Red is the virtually the same color, but quite a bit cheaper and is a single stage, base/clear paint.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i like the red but i think it would look pretty good with the blue racing stripes so have them do a section of metal with blue racing stripes

1 - 20 of 35 Posts