Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been a while since I have worked on the cougar. Last December troubleshot why the motor wouldn't crank. didn't have trans seated correctly. well last couple of weekends I got everything back in the engine compartment. Charged up Battery. Motor could turn over . So Drained gas tank blew out gas line and added new gas. Tried to start tonight.
Could not get the motor to burp or anthing. Moved distributor around. Dumped Gas down the carb. Im thinking either Coil easily could be suspect. points? condensor?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Chuck

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Pull the cap and make sure you're getting voltage to the points. Use a meter to gauge how many volts.
Check the gap, make sure the points aren't burned and haven't been filed with sandpaper.

·
Registered
308 Posts
chuck, Oddly enough I just finished reading a thread here where a guy though the problem was his coil. Replaced it... no go. Started tracing wires. Found ou that he forgot to put his rotor in place under the cap. BTDT. Hope your fix is as simple as that.

Ed

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah picked up new coil. Can't wait to see if this does it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Before you start replacing random parts, take the time to verify the basics. You'll save time and money, plus your sanity.

Key on, do you get voltage to the positive terminal on the coil? If not, check your ignition wiring and fuses.

Pull the coil wire at the cap and hold it close to something that's grounded, do you get a spark when someone cranks the engine? If not, could be the coil...and it could be the points or related wiring. FWIW, ripping out the points and replacing with a Pertronix Ignitor II is one of the best things I've done, amazing difference in how the engine performs.

You messed with the timing, so you may have to find TDC and get the timing close again if it's too far off now (Why mess with it if it hasn't changed since the last time it ran?)

Now, you say you put everything back in the engine compartment after getting the trans properly mated to the engine. Are you sure you reconnected the ground strap when you put everything back? Often times it's something simple like that when nothing has really changed with the engine setup but the engine has been pulled out, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts