Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a replacement rear view mirror for my 1969. It came without a mount shaft. How do I get the mount arm off my old mirror? There is a swivel ball at each end and I see no way to remove it. HELP!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just went out and looked at mine.

The shaft has screws at each end and is split the entire length. Take the screws out to relieve the pressure and pop the swivel balls out. Might need to "open" the split a hair to get them to release. Should solve your problem.

If there is no split or screws, I am at a loss.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What Mike said, but think there is only one screw and it is in the middle of the tube.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have come to the conclusion that my mirror is not what was original. Mine has a solid shaft with the ball in each end but no split or screw. Anybody have a spare mount shaft and bracket laying around I could use on my OEM style replacement mirror?

·
Registered
389 Posts
hehe....shafts....balls.....no comment :)

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
oh so you don't play golf do you
I think he plays Pocket pool or something like that.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just a thought here...I looked at my mirror on my 70 XR7 this morning it too has the tube with no screw or split case and there is a rubber trim around the mirror..is it possible to just fold the rubber back and remove the old mirror and reinstall your new mirror glass???

·
Registered
913 Posts
I bought a replacement rear view mirror for my 1969. It came without a mount shaft. How do I get the mount arm off my old mirror? There is a swivel ball at each end and I see no way to remove it. HELP!!!
What type mount do you have on the glass, is it a ball (69) or do you have to loosen a set screw and slide it up and off the mount(70 style). If it is the ball mount, you need the split shaft that is held together with two screws, if it is the 70 style you can't use the ball type mirror. If your glass has been replaced, you probably have the 70 style.

·
Registered
726 Posts
What type mount do you have on the glass, is it a ball (69) or do you have to loosen a set screw and slide it up and off the mount(70 style). If it is the ball mount, you need the split shaft that is held together with two screws, if it is the 70 style you can't use the ball type mirror. If your glass has been replaced, you probably have the 70 style.
Yup, that's exactly what happened to my mirror; glass had been replaced and rear view was replaced with a '70s version. Since new repro '69s are not available, I replaced the old (blemished) mirror with a new repro '70 which has a solid shaft and is attached to the glass with a small flat glue-on bracket. Looks good but is not the same as the '69.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ed zachary. Mine was replaced as well. I wish I had known the mirror wasn't the original style before I ordered the replacement. Oh well......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts