Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had to pull it out again..I have read not to put sealer in the glass channel and to put bedding compound in the gap between the gasket and and the body.

But..according to the shop manual it says to put sealer in the glass channel and that's it..:eek2:

·
Registered
630 Posts
ive read 2 ways 1 to put it in the channel before putting on glass this is the way i did but got quite messy, an article in mustang monthly the shop ran a bead around the seal on the outside after installed and none in the channel i think this would be a lot cleaner if you can get a nice even bead aroud it but havent tried it that way before but definetly go with the 3m that don recommended either way. good luck, run a clothesline rope in the channel that wraps inside window opening meet the ends of the rope at the top of the seal set the window in place and pull your rope inside while someone pushes, pats the window as you slowly pull the rope.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you talking about rear window or side rear window would not use channel bond on rear window weather strip

·
Registered
630 Posts
i agree i hadnt looked at the link thougt it was for rear window seal i have 3m black super weatherstrip and gasket sealer i thought thats what don was talking about. if it is the rear window i beleive i used clear silicone for glass when i did the 70 but when you put it in the channel first the seal is moving around and you need to press it onto glass edge to get air gaps worked out then its on your hands and all over your windshield by the time you get it in i think next time im going to try running a bead around the outside of the glass around seal and then some down in the gap where your molding clips are at. i would try to find some thing better than just silicone like i previously used. i used the 3m black super on the front edge of my 67 qtr. windows the other day when i redid them and it cleaned up easily with acetone. but does not come with a pointed nossle just a cap try to find something with a nossle that you can cut the tip off of to run a thin even bead or find a nossle that will thread onto the 3m balck super tube. hope this helps also i think the black 3m would work really good down inbetween the seal and roof channel where molding clips are at youll have to go around it slowly and probably in a couple of layers cuz the black stuff will sink down in the channel under its own weight i think after working with it the other day & its plenty sticky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts