·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
4 lights I have
one is in the nos box

3 i have in a unmarked box..
the one in the NOS box appears to look like or have same markings as P1020891.jpg the other 3 but one has a different plug on it.

Any help or names to look for on these to determine if any are reproductions or originals.
thanks
John P1020884.jpg

They all seem to have same markings on the lens like england, but plug on one has a covered pin, the other 3 have open pins type..

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
John, I don't think any reproductions of the Lucas Square 8's were ever made.
On the other hand, Lucas made them with two different lenses. FT8 (fog light) and LR8 (long range). The lamps in your pictures are LR8, while I believe the XR7-G and the Shelby used FT8.
Lucas also made several versions of them through the years. Early style has all chrome housing while the later style had the back of the housing painted flat black. The early style Square 8 lamps had ENGLAND written on the lens. Later versions and replacement lenses had either MADE IN ENGLAND (rare) or FOREIGN GLASS on the lens.
So your lamps are not reproductions but they are not entirely correct for a G-Cougar or a Shelby either.
I hope this helps.
And now, I am ready to let the crowd of better knowing people jump on my neck to tell me I am wrong :)

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The black housings were not painted metal. They were black textured plastic.

There were different types of covers too.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Now to add to the confussion, to be really correct for a G were the wire comes out it should have a black gromet in the opening. Even though the other had a chrome back it had a bigger grayish color gromet, and I believe the opening for the gromet was a little bigger also. So that one is not really correct. I believe it was made later.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i will post picture of mine when i get home, i bought some black housing square 8's directly from england, with the covers, for 125.00 3 or 4 years ago . just an idea on price

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok Ill get some better pictures of the fronts and the backs, one is in the original NOS box so ill get that number too.. Maybe someone will be able to tell. Ill mark each with a number so everyone can compare..I just compared them and came up with the confusion myself not knowing crap about them. Ill have another one about the emblems soon too. Found out alot of variables out there on those too!!
I hope the site stays available for all this good information to help others stays the same as its been doing.Im sure someone will probally go out and start another one soon if not!!lol..I cant stand changes,but seems like someone always likes it!!good or bad.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Jon
Ill check mine..looks like only one picture is on that thread, appears the one with a small hole on back is a original and one with a large hole is reproduction or later one..Ill take picture to update.
and see what 4 that are here are..
thanks
John

·
11,000 Posts
Those are nice. Not correct for an XR7-G though. They are truly New Old Stock, just not for anything I am familiar with. Maybe they are correct for some European car.

The XR7-G used an FTLR8 Fog lamp, same as the Shelby and GT/CS Mustangs. The Cougar XR7-G version uses a different stud and hardware setup than the one used on the GT/CS.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
leon
I didnt see any yellow lens tint to any of them
Ill get closer pictures here soon.
i THINk the one in the nos box was a c8 number but ill take pictures of fronts and back of all of them.
Thanks for the help.
john

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Leon Ill get some better ones with out all the stuff around them.I just pulled them out and was looking at them and trying to figure out the differences,but will get front and back pictures and mark them with a number so we can tell which ones are which..who ever knew some fog lights would be so hard to figure out..thanks

·
11,000 Posts
Not hard to figure out the correct ones for an XR7-G. Here are pictures of the correct ones:

Leon Ill get some better ones with out all the stuff around them.I just pulled them out and was looking at them and trying to figure out the differences,but will get front and back pictures and mark them with a number so we can tell which ones are which..who ever knew some fog lights would be so hard to figure out..thanks

·
11,000 Posts
Interesting - the auction Leon linked to has one correct lamp and one like the ones John is selling.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Royce Talk to our other g man buddy and ask him about the emblems dilema we found..Boy what a nightmare thats going to be. Matched them against one in a NOS package to other ones in plastic bags(a few different versions) and then to the original used ones, what a big difference out there, when we touch that item too!. But for these fog lights tomorrow Ill get pictures for you guys to determine which are true and which ones might not be. Thanks again for the information
John

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
day late and a dollar short, but heres the pictures of mine

and no i am not saying they are correct housings , just the lens and covers,,,,

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts