Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure all of us our going to have opinions,bad or good, so dont bash anyone, just let everyone offer their best thoughts..

The g car has made it home been sitting for 30 years. NOW WHAT TO DO.

Ok, IM not forsure what I want to do with this car yet. I looked it over today. Took alot of pictures, and really after finding out that this car has been sitting since 1981 in a yard,that its not too bad of a car..
ITS at 68 xr7,g car, sunroof,disc brakes,x code,power steering,ac car..
Its a project.. but thinking about just selling the shell only with the way it sits..
From what I CAN tell its doesnt have in it
is engine,tranny,passenger fender,interior.

The bad I found on the car, just part of one side of floor pans is got holes,trunk lid has rust,the hood needs work,but hood scoop is there,driver fender has one small hole,driver door has one little hole,driver quarter not bad, the passenger quarter needs work, the passenger door needs replaced....

Now for the good, I have to say the roof is awesome,not rust holes around the sunroof area, or the rear window.Frame rails and shock towers are good, looks like maybe someone bent in the panel in the trunk by the gas tank.
I have the original sunroof P1020623.jpg panel that was on the car..

Now I see all the dash wiring is there, the tailights wiring and the passenger side wiring is there, all the power steerin P1020658.jpg g ,all the disc brake stuff. Ill post pictures of areas of the car..

So what do you think is a good asking price if I just sell the shell due to the ro P1020689.jpg of not being in bad shape..as I have seen on alot of roofs like this that are ussually bad.
Have title with car..

Ill take all suggestions and try to d P1020620.jpg ecide what to do. Thanks
John
did find the original valance in trunk today with it also..
Original grill emblem is on the grills and they all look good. P1020619.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P1020634.jpg P1020625.jpg the passenger quarter is the worse part of the car i see being trouble..looks like someone already did some repairs..inside of it..

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
No mirror, no console?

8F93X5_____
65B T __ ___ __ 1 U

Can you please fill in the blanks so that we know what you've got?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Minus all of the G stuff what you have is an XR7 with a few sunroof parts. To sell this car you need to add all of the G parts back into the picture: mirror, console, front and rear valance, badges, shift knob, etc. Then you can sell it as a G, some assembly required.

Probably, you will get more money selling the parts, but it will take a long time and you will have to do a lot more work to get it. A G console is valuable, but ONLY to a G owner that NEEDS a console. This means the potential market is tiny. You may have to wait a long time for the right guy to show up. This means the potential market is tiny.

The body work is not a big deal. It costs as much to fix rust on a G as it does on a standard, but since the G is ultimately more valuable, it makes more sense.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P1020718.jpg Here you go It was a 390,automatic..Probally will never get the motor and tranny. I thought maybe on the lines if someone had a rusted out 68 xr7, with a nice interior and nice running motor,that they might want to transfer their stuff into this one and have the sunroof as a option???You wouldnt have to have the console,or mirror,or front woodgrain dash parts..You would have a 68xr7 with sunroof option. Now for a G car fanatic,this might be a goood donor car or someone that has all the parts already but not a good body??? Or if anything we might restore it ourselves here at our local place. But If I was too put it on the market,for a gcar guy that might want it!! what could be good or a bad price range to consider.
Im sure someone out there has the parts to do the car..and Ofcourse if they didnt have the console and mirror I could offer that as an option.But the car has it all there, the wiring, grills, with badge,the tail lights,glass, the original hood,front valance, rear valance,power steering,ac,disc brakes and not too bad of a body, better than I see on most cars out there asking a price for. But looking at this one with a good roof sunroof option would be a step up on most xr7 cars..
Thanks for the opinions keep them coming. Just got the other 68 xr7 parts car in with all there on it too, but missing the driver quarter..
John
anyone that needs to email me direct please do so
either
carolinaclassiccougars.com
or [email protected]
843 8716140
I have more pictures

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not in any kind of rush at all on this deal. Too many other projects first. Ill post some more pictures..I just thought the sunroof was extremely fabulous on this car..Condition wise..

·
Registered
735 Posts
OK, I'll bite.

What makes it a G is it's vin#.

Looking back through my comps, the closest I can find is a J code sunroof G that was missing it's scoop, hood pins, side mirror, rear valence and tips that sold in July of '08 on ebay for $2,550.09. It was a heavily rusted car, but had it's interior/console and drive train. Sooo, based on that I would guess your G, as it sits, is worth around 3K to 4K.

Some of the G specific items your car is missing, and what they have sold for are:
Console - $850.00 - ebay 8/20/07
Shift Knob (auto) - $285.00 - ebay 11/21/07
Complete XR7-G Dash - $335.00 - ebay 11/29/07
Snorkel (air cleaner/snorkel would be unique for X code G) - $425.00 - ebay 02/06/08
Side Mirror - $645.00 - ebay 07/29/07
3rd Horn - $116.55 - ebay 08/14/07

In addition, looks like you're missing the sunroof motor, hood pins, valve covers, exhaust tips and 6.5 Litre badges.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
It is a G because the VIN is for a G, not because it has G parts on it. The way to sell it is to put as many G parts together as possible, and include them with the car. This means console, mirror, front and rear valance, Lucas lights if you have them, console, shift knob, all three round badges, the trunk lock cover badge, the original door panels (extra stuffing), the leather door pulls, the gold Cougar horn center, the gold Cougar and XR7-G for the dash, the hood pins and cables, center caps w G logo, exhaust tips, and the sunroof parts. I probably missed something... I know where there is an X code engine and trans that came out of another G (Scott Taylor has it).

IF you could put together all of the parts, and the body is basically straight, you could probably get close to $8K for it, maybe a little bit more, depending on the condition of the rest of the car, color, and other optional features. I could see it maybe going for $12K if it was really good. Put the car together with the engine and trans and it could bring $15K to $19K as a running G car.

Strip it of the G parts and it is worth nearly nothing, it is a money pit. A G, minus the G parts is going to be worth less than an XR7 in the same condition. The cost and the difficulty of finding the parts adds too much risk to the project.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. so say if!! A 68 xr7 owner had a car already, and it was a rust bucket,but everything else interior,motor,and tranny were all good on his car. So he decides he wants to restore it,but instead of using his body and doing all that work on a normal xr7 car, wouldnt he consider that hey!!! here is a 68 xr7 with a sunroof and transfer his stuff to it,and have a nice original sunroof in place of his normal roof,after all the wiring is in the dashfor this car already(which he wouldnt have to take out he could sell his wiring)then all the xr7 interior from his car would go right in,being the only thing different would be the console(not being a g car one),but his console would still work fine,then his motor will hook up with no problem,the grills are fine on this car(need restored,and tailights restored),it would have the original rear valance so he can dual it out the back like the g car,the front valance is there too,he could get the after market lucas lights. The original hood is there, has the scoop,and holes for the hood pins, as the original pins are still on the car too. I have the original roof and the original sunroof parts for it,and the switch which he would have to modify somewhere on his console or dashto put the switch(being the g console has it already mounted)..The original badge is on the grills,i would include the other original 2 badges,and the original trunk badge if it even mattered to the person. It would be a pretty cool transfer. I would think for a xr7 owner,that wanted a sunroof car and couldnt afford the whole G package restoration thing!!.Just a thought!! P1020318.jpg

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
im confused, do you have all or most of the g parts to complete this car ?

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike
Its not about what I have, I am looking for different options..Looking at other possibilities of if someone was interested in doing it as a total restoration, or one that has a g car already(but a horrible body,this would be available),or a normal xr7 guy that would just love to have a car with a sunroof,without doing a big expensive g car restoration!! what would be different prices to look at it for selling..Mike..we have spoke already..Parts for me getting to do this car as a g car restoration is not a problem for me on this one!!..Just looking at options of prices for a Body like this to go as. I might have different options for this body(THE rolling shell as is,with its original stuff that is still on the car)..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ok, understood. i think a big block g car should be save if possible. how many were made ? i would sell the car with all of its original g parts and sell the EXTRA nos g parts seperately.
that way everyone wins. the car gets saved and you will make a ton of cash on the nos parts. just my 2 cents worth. :)

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
John,

No. That makes no sense what so ever. A sunroof G is worth more as a G than anything else. The more parts you have they higher the price.

It sounds like you want to sell the console. The G console is not going to bring top dollar because the wood grain strips are completely missing. If it had the strips you might be looking at $1500, as it sits, probably $800 or so. And then ONLY to some one that has a G and needs one.

Your best bet is to sell the G with as many parts as you can put together. There were only 619 G cars built. There are less than 235 that have been identified (including ones that were parted and scrapped). So the customer base for the parts consists of the people who own a G, that need a particular part that you have. This is a very very small number of customers.

A very nice rust free rolling shell is $1500 or less any day. I have bought several sunroof parts cars, and never paid more than $2000. Add $1000 for shipping to the east coast if you want look at it that way.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There you go Bill, Just can we once Leave some options out there on the table..Im not in a rush to sell this car. Im not in a rush to sell the parts,Im not looking for prices on the parts..Im looking for options for prices for(rolling car as it its with its original stuff that is still all there on it) someone that might want to use this car(since I dont have the engine or tranny), and maybe someone that doesnt have the funds to do a GCAR restoration..Im looking at what option this shell might be priced at for the average guy out there that wants a sunroof car minus the total G factor. I know your a g collector,and the parts are very hard to find,and there are only so many of them left. But if I dont have the original motor and tranny, then Maybe its not even worth doing a G car restoration on the car.(it wouldnt be a number matching restoration then)is this correct?? SO just looking at options. Ill find the right person for it, I assure you someone would love to have the sunroof option and not worry about all the original stuff inside not being there. But if we determine the value isnt worth restoring it with a non original motor and tranny,it would be better going the other way. I would think!! Thanks Bill for your concerns. You have a good list of G cars and know how hard its to find the parts and how much it cost to invest in one of these projects. Some guys might not be able to afford all of the restoration fees,parts,and the car.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok Bill and Mike..I had one guy tell me that he thought the car as is,without the motor and tranny,including the console and original mirror,valances,hood,with title,would be in the 3-4k range, with the motor and tranny,5-6 range.. This would be without the any interior or dash face stuff. Is that a good range or not. No NOS parts included. Just as it sits right now. This is what IM trying to figure out what is good or not. Thanks
John
or is this not a good range too high or too low..
thank you for the information and thoughts( i was just giving some options on how someone could use it)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
John,

From what it sounds, and what I could discern from the references to various parts (which you never really described accurately so that a proper opinion could be offered....) that would seem to be in less than spectacular condition.

As for "numbers correct", there are plenty of garden variety 390's around that you could still get a good date matching GT 390 built up, or darned close to it. Trans would be a little harder, but not that bad. A good 68 Galaxie with a 390/C6 in it would be a good starting point for this.....add the exhaust manifolds and a floor shift linkage for the trans, and away you go..... If you got insane on the numbers matching, well, then you'd be insane. For a car that is this far out there, you would need to evaluate resources available.....to get it 100 points correct or numbers matching. If it was a 428 4 speed G, then yes, I think you would want to do as much numbers matching as possible.....but perhap get the car on the road first, while you collect unobtainium 68 428 parts.....using a 390....

I think what you have here, you "restore" to a good solid driver using as many correct parts from Ford to duplicate the way the G was outfitted. You could do this without breaking the bank and your will power to work on a car for several years! Yes, it would have to be a love project to do it.....or at least someone with a very open mind......

As for your fishing on value......go ahead and sell the shell. It is a big block car with a hole in the roof, but as Bill says, not much gonna come of it. Sounds like you are waiting around with a stack of G-parts, for a primo rust free CA/TX/AZ/NM body to put all your stuff on and then "create" a G.....

If you are serious, you would sell it all as a package to help preserve a rare car. But it would seem that you really don't care about this, if you are even suggesting that you are going to sell it as a shell "for someone else to swap parts into from their rusty car".....

I think you know what a shell that needs work is worth, even with a sunroof in it, which really isn't worth all that much more with the body in this condition...and I think you have a good idea what the G-parts are worth on the market.....but is sounds like not much of that pile is all that pristine either? A G-shell that has been stripped of all it's specific components, requiring quarter panel replacement and roof repairs.....well.....that's a tough sell unless you are selling it to someone that has a stack of G-parts stacked up in their garage!!! But even they probably wouldn't pay all that much either......

Cheers and happy thinking!
Steve

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
John, I think you are hearing my words in a different tone than I am intending. I think that you are interested in making as much money as possible from what you have, and I have no issue with that. What I am suggesting is that the way to do this is to put together a package that can be completed. I think the part that is the hardest to get across is that the market for G parts is very small and it can take years to sell those rare parts for big money. If you want to sell them cheap, them guys like me will buy them and put them on the shelf just in case. IF anyone were able to buy the shell and make it whole, it would probably be me. I have that sunroof motor you need, and the cables, and the Lucas lights, and every emblem that goes on the car including the wheel center caps, I even have a spare console WITH the wood strips. So if I was thinking about ME, I would be telling you to sell me the shell for cheap, and to part out the rest.

In general, I suspect that a lot of the folks on this board would just love to get a shot at a project sunroof big block G. For a lot of guys, the only way they will ever own one will be by starting out with what you have.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts