Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appologize if this is common knowledge, but I searched and didn't find much of an answer. It sounds like it has been done, but I am missing the details on how.

The 1972 Torino mirrors obviously don't fit.

I just bought a pair with the 1970 part number, and they don't fit either.

Is there a factory mirror base out there that will mount these sport mirrors to a 1968 door and look right? Or does something have to be hand made?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
What are the casting numbers on the bases? There would be several, Mustang, Some thing like C9ZB-, Maverick, D0DB-, Cougar Drivers side C9WB, Passengers side D0OB-,and Fairlane, D0OB both sides I think, at the least

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The only differences are the bases as far as I know. The cat ones are unique due to the angle of it. The wierd thing is - the 69 vert I just got - has a chrome base for the sport mirror..? I wondered if that was aftermarket or not? I also wonder if the head would be chrome after I strip the paint off!? I don't know that there were chrome ones were there? I have a passenger side sport mirror off a Torino and the base is incorrect of course, so I would be interested in a base for that if anybody has one.

As far as mounting them to a 68 - I don't know? Is it to much or to little angle? I don't know that the one I have would be different - it was a 70 I think..? Currious to see what you find out...maybe it's a simple mod?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The chrome base was an Eliminator thing I think. Also the heads look to be pot metal, and all were painted as far as I know. I wouldn't strip it and hope for Chrome underneath.

The 1970 mirror I have is part D0OB 177743. The 1972 is D2GB-17743. In both cases the mirror head is tilted too far in, and hits the window if you put it on top of the door like the 1968 mirror. I'll try to get some pictures to show what I mean.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The only differences are the bases as far as I know. The cat ones are unique due to the angle of it. The wierd thing is - the 69 vert I just got - has a chrome base for the sport mirror..? I wondered if that was aftermarket or not? I also wonder if the head would be chrome after I strip the paint off!? I don't know that there were chrome ones were there?
The mirror heads were the same from 69 through about 77 across many FoMoCo lines. As noted, the bases were different for each car. 69 XR7 had a chrome base to flow with the door top aluminum pieces. 69 standard and all 70 had painted bases. The exception to both of these is if the car was a special paint car and then the base was chrome regardless if standard or XR7.

The mirror heads were never chrome from the factory.

As for installing on a 68, it will be trial and error to find a base that works and doesn't interfere with the operation of the vent windows. The 68 XR7G had a different style bullet mirror and several folks have been talking about reproducing the base. You may want to look into whether or not that has been done.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bad,

The 69/70's had both chrome base and painted base, I think it changed after a certain date. My May build '69 had a painted base but I have a chrome base spare in my junk. The head will not be chrome under the paint.

Regards,

Bob

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
As for installing on a 68, it will be trial and error to find a base that works and doesn't interfere with the operation of the vent windows. The 68 XR7G had a different style bullet mirror and several folks have been talking about reproducing the base. You may want to look into whether or not that has been done.
Back in the day I ran a pair of Cyclone sport mirrors on my 68 and built up the sill with Duraglass where it mounted so that it would stand up straight and not interfere with the vent window. I ran those that way for over 20 years without an issue before changing them during the latest repaint.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The Maverick and Mustang mirrrors are mounted on the side of the door and "May" work best on the 67/68 Cougar doors. But a person could build a adaptor for the base that would set the head were it needs to be for using the 69/70 Cougar D/S mirror. The Passengers side 70 mirror is the Fairlane part. But same could be done I'm sure.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I kinda like Marks idea to build it up - if you can't find a base that will work on something. I guess I never noticed that some bases were chromed before - so evidently it's not as weird as I'm thinking it is right now. I'd kinda like the head chromed to, but I guess it's best to leave it the body color - or paint the base. I think if you went with the type that mount further down the side - it wouldn't be to bad either....if the angle problem doesn't crop up there too! I have seen some real nice CNC'd ones that clamp onto the gutter - Maybe another option?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Early '69 XR-7s and Sport Specials came with chrome base racing/sport mirrors. I'm not sure when the changeover to painted bases occurred, but it was sometime prior to the start of Eliminator production, April 1, 1969.
Mirrors on special paint cars were all chrome, but they were rectangular base-model style, not sport mirrors.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
So, the racing mirror was not available with special paint? Interesting...I thought we investigated that before and came to a different conclusion. Thanks for the education.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'm always open to documentation to the contrary, but everything I've seen indicates that the mirrors came to the Assembly Plant already painted. They weren't set up to paint individual mirrors on the line to match a special paint car. Allegedly (I've heard it claimed but have never seen documentation) dealers were supposed to install a painted mirror before delivering the car to the customer, but its clear this didn't happen in many cases.
In the case of '70 special paint Eliminators, they came with no passenger side mirror, since there wasn't a standard chrome mirror to match the one on the driver's side.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That actually makes sense I suppose - It would make the assy lines flow smoother. I sure would have liked to have a passenger mirror on mine though! You don't realize how much you use it until you don't have one!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Mirror bases from a 10-71 Torino/Fairlane/Montego Cyclone, 71-73 Cougar, 72-76 Montego, 74-79 Cougar or 75-80 Granada/Monarch/Versailles will probably work. The mirror base will fit in the trough between the window sill molding and edge of the door.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
my rh is off a cyclone of 72 vintage!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mirror bases from a 10-71 Torino/Fairlane/Montego Cyclone, 71-73 Cougar, 72-76 Montego, 74-79 Cougar or 75-80 Granada/Monarch/Versailles will probably work. The mirror base will fit in the trough between the window sill molding and edge of the door.
I'm not sure those will work. Looking at some pictures of those, the top of the door area where the mirrors are mounted on those vehicles have a slope to them. The 1968 Cougar door is almost parallel with the ground in that area. The 1973 Cougar one looks promising...

BUT in searching for those I see that a set of Granada mirrors is dirt cheap in comparison with what I paid for Torino mirrors. I'f I have to make something fit, it may as well be somehting cheap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts