Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok well i called my buddy of mine today and we were talking about what to do about a car, and he mentiond that he knew of a car near him that he used to own thats up for sale.
Here's the details:
1967 XR7
Iverness Green w/ Saddle interior
289 4V / C4 trans
around 94,000miles
Power DRUM...(sorry it has power drum brakes not disc)
Dealer installed hitch
ok now the fun:
The car was all originall when he got , but after some things happened he had to sell it and did to a guy looking for a all original car, which this was...i enforce was!
The guy pulled off the original hubcaps and wheels and put on the shelby wheels, pulled the motor and had it bored over .40 which it did not need!
Added low compression pistons and a aluminum intake and new carb(after he threw the original intake and carb into the trash along with the hubcaps!
Added a dual exaust and hipo manifolds (one of the 2 things he did right)
Added a 67 9inch with 3.25 Posi(other thing he did right)
The car is now up for sale and i have been told it is a turn key car 10 mins from me for 2500.00 bucks!
The motor is a bit doggy right now (possibly a cam issue or timing but otherwise the car is ok.

Should i do it or hold out for the 71 in cali?
here's a pic of how it looked before the guy got ahold of it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
humm, tough call. You'd have to change your name here, but parts are easier to find for them ;) BUT if you get the car in Cali. then you will have all the parts you need right. Tough call.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Umm lets see impulse controll problem taking over...... buy both! ya ya they are like lays potoe chips cant own just one! seriously get the 67 better parts availability and no shipping cost make it a better canidate.unless your looking at another rusted out florr and pans but on the up side at least you can get replacemnt parts easier.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Dave - If you don't buy the '67 I will. :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NOOOOOOOOOO Mine!....LOL
I am going to look at it this week. I think i will get it i know the history and it's 10 mins from here.
I only have to get the cash together, i really hope i can otherwise i may give up entirely on this hobby, cause that will be strike #3...:(

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Dave, thats kookie talk. never give up. even if you think you have given , you really havent, youll see another cool car for sale and "BAM" relapse. We here all have the bug, we are car (Cougar) crazy. Well. I am anyway:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know man, this money thing is killing me at this point, i have a settlement comming and well it's still not soon enough...should have been like 5 months ago but between my lawyer and the doctors getting things screwd up....i have to wait, if i knew someone who could lend me the cash, i would be able to pay them back in like 2 months tops!
Maybe i can start a fund...lol
Anywho i am serious about the cash thing if someone seriously could help. I will be going back to work as soon as this settlement is done so either way i will have the cash but by then it will be too late....and around here cars like this do not grow on trees...oh well..

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you can't get it let me know. I have been looking for an early (67/68) SB one for the wife. She's in love with my father's '66 Mustang, likes the smaller body style.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I honestly wouldn't know what to do either. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes right now. I do agree with the parts availability issue others descussed. But, on the other hand you would already have that covered with your current car if you went ahead with the 71. I think deep down, since you are planning to get another car anyway, maybe going with the 67 might be a better choice. You never said how much the 71 deal is for (not that it's any of our business). But if it's anything near the price of the 67, I'd opt for the '67 and not have to deal with the transport of the other one from the west coast. You did say that was where the 71 was coming from I think??? If you do decide to pass, please let someone else here have a crack at it though.

Good Luck!

Mark

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark,
The 71 is on the west coast, and it is around the same price(3200 after shipping costs) The 67 is 10 mins from my house...well 17 mins technically. I really wnat this car cause deals like this do not happen to me well...ever. I lucked out with my 73 but we all see how that bit me in the ass. I know i am ranting and i am sorry that i get like this on here but i know all of you work hard for your cats and i respect that and non of you have ever put me down for thinking the way i do at times...you guys are like my family and i really appreciate you all. I will give someone else a crack at it if i decide that i cannot get it but hey give me some time :)
Thanks again guys for listening to me bit** and moan about how my life sucks due to one stupid car accident:(
I will now end this rant:)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hang in there man. It always gets better. Just dont let go of hope. My dad would say "Hold that Tiger". You just got to keep fighting the blues, one day things will get better. Something good is around the corner, you just cant see it from here.
I was unemployeed for bout 2 years due to lay-offs (1995-1997) and suck market for jobs. in 1990 i was even homeless for a month or two, got layed off twice in the same year, lost my home, i have no family here. I lived out of a 67 mustang vert til i ran into a old friend who owned the horse stables where i used to keep 2 horses. She let me stay there til i got back on my feet. But when i was ready to move on to my own place they did not want me to go, it was like a scene out of "The Beguiled". But it all worked out. Now I own part of the land the the stables where on. now i am laughing, its my turn to laugh. We All have the right to happyness. dont let the *******s bring you down.
:)
Rich

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Hang in there Dude.... Well I usually go against the grain ... so here goes.... Stick with the original plan if you can... You will already have a donor car in place and can part out what you don't need ( maybe you can sell the carcass to MILO he seems to be collecting 73s LOL..... sorry Milo). nothing from the 73 will work with the 67. the 67 is nice but it is also an east coast car which equals RUST as you found out with the 73. If you can't swing the money now then wait.... there will be others..... Earlier this year I was seriously considering a 70 vert in St. Louis ... Man I really did want that Cat.... But it just wasn't to be..... Don't beat yourself up over this... Things will get better..... my.05

Don

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
its your call man. after all is said and done you are the one that has to drive it ( unless you offer to hand me the keys for a weekend :D ) id be weary of the 67 a bit, but it will be easier to get ahold of and you can go to check it out in person and see if its all its cracked up to be. get around and look for rust and such. its much easier to take a look at. hell why not go to look at that car then decide? once you see it in person and maybe drive it, then it might let you know if its the right car. if the engine is no good, then hey, i know where you can find a 351C...... lol

the 71 obviously has its high points, being out here in Cali all of its life, but the lows have already been laid out for ya. its gonna be hard to find parts should you need them. seeing as you already have what can be a parts car, that might not be that big of an issue. ( even has a spare Cleveland..... ) both cars seem pretty much ready to go and look like decent cars to start out with project wise. its all up to you though man.

by the way DON --- your story about that 70 Vert reiminded me of the 69 Bench seat car i really really really wanted on Ebay. then i bid several times but didnt get because of the sellers too high reserve :( damn i still want that car :( thanks for reopening old emotional wounds :( lol jk

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
by thw way, dont worry about the Hubcaps Dave. ive got like 2 or 3 full sets of those in my garage. they arent hard to find

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Jeeez, Don - we had just cured him too. :rolleyes:

Steve, forget about the bench seat, you really didn't want it. Steve, forget about the bench seat, you really didn't want it. Steve, forget about the bench seat, you really didn't want it. Steve, forget about the bench seat, you really didn't want it. Steve, forget about the bench seat, you really didn't want it. Steve, forget about the bench seat, you really didn't want it. :p:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Good things come to those who wait, or so they say! Get your insurance check and buy what you really want. Two months may seem like a lifetime, but it goes by fast. Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Okay, here goes her with all the wisdom and I can just imagine all the groans.............:). However, parts will not be problem with the 71, you are at the age where you need the 71, you cannot desert my 71-73 registry, in the time that you actually get the cheque you will have seen about another 1/2 dozen cats that you are going to be in a dilema about, I really like the look of the 71, 71's are rarer than 67's, uuummmm, what else, oh yeah, you need someone to tell you what to buy, buy the 71, end of story, subject closed. Okay?
Oh and I almost forgot, most of us are in the financial s**t, its just the depth that varies, get a metaphorical shovel and dig yourself out of it, one shovel-full at a time, its amazing how much better it looks when you take it day by day.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
WOW Steve A BENCH SEAT!!! and you didn't go fori t...... I just can't believe it... You at least could have bought OCcougar's car to keep it the family!!!! JK/JK

Some people's kids!!!

Don:1poke: :1poke: :1poke: :1poke:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
texrep said:
WOW Steve A BENCH SEAT!!! and you didn't go fori t...... I just can't believe it...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400979097&category=6339

see??? i DID bid on it. my max bid was over $1,000 too. just still didnt meet the reserve. i probably would have gone even higher too, but the guy never returned any of my emails when i wanted more info on the car. you know, like if it ran ( i guess it didnt ) and rust issues and such. there is only so much im willing to spend on a car without knowing anything about it. sigh. hey, white interior, bench seat and a 69... would have been perfect. oh well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts