Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes the story so far:
Orderd a ton o parts for the cat, some get here Sat!
The rust that is overtaking my drivers side stike bolt area, has seen fit to continue threw out this piece...i am AFRAID!.
Found out there is absolutly no room for front speakers in the kick panels( they are smaller on a 73:) ) . So that kinda leaves 2 choices:
1 Cut the metal Dash:(
2;Cut my perfect door panels:(
Either way not happy
Did find out that tweeters will fit nicely into the rear factory ashtray spots...lol go figure.
So here is my ??'S
What do i do about front speakers
What do i do about the rust is leaving in the door jamb area...can this peice be replaced?
Thanks TONS

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Did you think about modifying your kick panels to accept speakers? This is a popular location for high-end stereo systems due to the excellent stageing of the sound.:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will it fit?

Well it is not really the size of the panel it is the lack of depth behind it. This car was orderd with the AM radio, so there for i have 1 speaker in the dash!

If you have performed this upgrade and can give me tips Jeff please do!

Thanks for your patience

·
Registered
300 Posts
Kick Panels??

I KNOW they make kick panels that are built for speakers, at least for the 67/68 cougars. Do they not make them for the later years as well?

MU has them on page 4.. hehe. (67/8 anyway)

OC

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah Not sure but it really stinks that nobody makes kick panles for the 73 with speaker holes. I haven't come across this yet but I will soon let me know what you end up doing . Kinda curious.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh i will man!

Yeah i am curious to...lol,
did ya know tweeters will fit in the factory rear ashtray spots...heheh

Dave

·
Registered
889 Posts
get the door fixed then

these cougar guys know,They turned me on to it POR-15:D But a word of caution -gove up it DOSE NOT come off trust me I worked 2 hous with it and it took a week to wear off.Plenty of scratching with the old pocket knife too.to quote a member'THAT STUFF ROCKS" good luck Dan

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I had upgraded the speakers in AlphaCat (also a 73).

I found a set of good aftermarket stock-size speakers for the doors and installed a pair of 4x9s (I 'm not 100% certain of the size) in the rear package tray. If you look at the reinforcing back there you can see that it was designed for a pair of narrow speakers.

Good enough for me!

Remember, this was done back in the day of Pioneer Supertuners and power booster/graphic equalizers.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You cut your door panels...sniff

I am worried about screwing up my near perfect panels...lol
Is there a tool to take the off cause the clips are different then on a newer car?
what depth Speaker can i use in the doors and where exactly should they go?

Also my package tray has no holes since it was a AM car.
PLMK.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the package tray itself will not have any holes. but the bracing under it does. if you really want to, you can buy a new package tray for it im sure. umm, let me find a pic without the padding or package tray on...... DOH!! cant find it.. i KNOW i posted it somwhere on the boards... ayyy, ill look.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts