Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my buddy has picked up another 4 speed convertible for his collection.

Now we got the marti report it claims that the car is a original 351 windsor 2 barrel ,4 speed car, one of 20.
Now I didnt know or havent heard that a 4 speed of this year had a 351 w. I thought all on record was 351c. with the four speed.

Does this add to the previous answer that there was only 53 total 4 speed convertible put out for 1970, with the 351 cleveland or does this mean some of the 53 had a windsor motor.

Thanks
John
The marti report states it was produced october of 69.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Does a Marti report even state Windsor or Cleveland? I want to say that it does not. The engine code would be the same regardless, the way to tell the engine is original to the car would be to look for the partial VIN on the back of the DS cylinder bank on the block just below the deck surface.

Otherwise, I have heard of 351W in some (but few) '70 cars, so I think it is possible but I certainly don't have the final word on it.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
All 1970 M code cars were 351C engines.
1970 H code (351-2V) could be either Windsor or Cleveland. Marti might have the engine tag data to support whether or not C or W.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey John I posted on the blog a Lincoln Mercury Division Option and Accesory report the numbers are off a little but shows what cougar could of had come with. it shows the 4 speed came as a STD & CL RT what did yours come with.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
1970 H code (351-2V) could be either Windsor or Cleveland. Marti might have the engine tag data to support whether or not C or W.
In the Carcheologist we trust!

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I know I saw on the report it is a H code car.
I think it said windsor,but Ill look at the shop this weekend on the car report and see exactly what it call out.
Its showing it to be a ginger color interior too, and its a xr7 but it has black interior now and does have power steering,disc brakes,8track player. Ill get a picture of the report and see if we can determine the windsor question. Its diffently a windsor motor.
I have received about 5 70 hardtop cougars with windsor motors. I have one sitting in the coral right now with one in it as we speak.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Scott (not Lin) is correct. Kevin has the data, from his FAQ's,
"We have the data available. When someone orders a report from us with an "H" engine code for 1970-1973 models, the report lists if it had a Windsor engine. If there is no listing, it had a Cleveland engine since that was considered "standard.""

If you want to read the entire answer follow the link; http://www.martiauto.com/faqfocus.cfm?qid=31

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ok my buddy has picked up another 4 speed convertible for his collection.

Now we got the marti report it claims that the car is a original 351 windsor 2 barrel ,4 speed car, one of 20.
Now I didnt know or havent heard that a 4 speed of this year had a 351 w. I thought all on record was 351c. with the four speed.

Does this add to the previous answer that there was only 53 total 4 speed convertible put out for 1970, with the 351 cleveland or does this mean some of the 53 had a windsor motor.

Thanks
John
The marti report states it was produced october of 69.
John,

I don't know where you are getting only 53 4 speed convertibles in 1970. Per Kevin Marti's book, COUGAR...by the Numbers (1967-1973), there were 20 close ratio equipped 351-2V XR 7 convertibles, there were also 42 wide ratio 351-2V XR 7 convertibles, and an additional 32 (close and wide combined) 4 speed standard convertibles, making a total of 94 4 speed 1970 Cougar convertibles built with a 351-2V (H code (combination of Windsor and Cleveland)) engine. There were also wide and close ratio 4 speed M codes (126 total all Clevelands) as well as close ratio 4 speed Q code Cougar (20) convertibles.

So a total of 240 1970 Cougar convertibles equipped with a 4 speed, plus another 195 with a 3 speed manual for a grand total of 435 standard transmission equipped Cougar convertibles in 1970.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Mine is is an H code 4 speed XR7 vert and it has a Cleveland. Since my window sticker does not say close ratio, i am assuming its wide ratio. One of 42 sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I noticed alot of the early 70 cars hardtops and convertibles were mostly 351 windsors. Until i think like febuary or march they started using 351 clevelands causre the plants ran out of the windsors and went to the clevelands. I had a early 70 xr7 with a 351w 2v parts car that also had factory glue in door glass.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Mine is is an H code 4 speed XR7 vert and it has a Cleveland. Since my window sticker does not say close ratio, i am assuming its wide ratio. One of 42 sounds about right.
Zoli,

The window sticker will not tell you if you have a close (2:32 to 1) ratio or a wide (2:78 to 1) ratio first gear in your transmission. Only the build sheet, transmission tag, door tag or Marti report. A 5 or RUG-AW(1) indicates a wide ratio, a 6 or RUG-AV(1) indicates a close.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok
I looked at the Marti on this one that just came in for him. It does says ordered with 351 windsor and its a xr7 convertible 4 speed with power windows and all other great options no tilt thou and does have glue in windows.
His other one is a 70 convertible xr7 4 speed with a 351 4 barrel cleveland 4 speed.
His next one is a 70 convertible non xr7, 4 speed with same 351 cleveland 2 barrel and 4 speed.I was told one of 9 with this option and one of 23 with the tranny ratio.

But was shown that only 53 was put out with the convertibles with 4 speed. So Im guessing once we get the other marti report it will answer the question for how many total actually was put out in the convertibles.

Thanks for all the information. Its looking like the 4 speed numbers that I have been told and showed from other documentation for convertibles have climbed from 53 or so to 240 according to the above information.

Thanks
John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts