Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my timing gears and chain and distributor and Just put in a oil pressure gauge and new sender. When i first started the car with the new oil pressure gauge it read 50 - 60 now and slowly worked down. Now when i start it i have bad lifter noise for 10 seconds and it goes away and i idle at 25 on the gauge and slowly work to barely anything when driving. I have a 351 cleveland 2v STOCK btw. and the i put a mehanical gauge on first and it did the same thing so i though i hooked it up wrong but now my electrical gauge is showing similiar results. And yes i have the matching sender for each gauge. I was told by a guy in auto zone tht the clevelands had an oil distribution problem is there any truth to that and if not what could this be. Could my oil pump be going bad?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Did you change the oil and filter after the timing set change? If not, that could be the issue. The guy at Autozone doesn't know what he is talking about. Lots of guys think that Clevelands have oiling issues, in general they do not, and especially not in stock form, so you have nothing to wrry about there. The oiling myths came about for the most part because of aftermarket parts that were not setup right. Many guys still do all the stupid oil mods because it is what they were told, but they are not needed for the most part. It sounds to me like the engine may just be worn out or something is restricting oil flow. Put the gauge on the port on the front drivers side of the engine behind the fuel pump and see what the readings are there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am running 10w 30w and its new oil and filter. And where exactly are you saying to put the gauge? because i have it on the rear of the motor now where the stock sensor was

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
What brand of oil filter? Fram is crap, Pure One and K&N are good. Oil filters can cause the pressure to drop because of restrictions. The factory had it in the back, at the very end of the oil routing. If you put it on the port next to the fuel pump it will give you a reading as it comes out of the oil filter, this can tell you if you have a restriction or a bad pump. Just use it as a temporary spot to get the reading, you dont have to keep it there.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You can, I just like the one on the back because then you know what the low point of the engine is getting. If you use the front one, you may get a false sense of security.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It would probably be time for a rebuild. You could swap the rod bearings with the engine in the car if the journals are in good shape, but it is a pain and you would still have the mains that would probably be loose. Check it at the front and let us know what you get and we will surely give suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.