Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 351w i'm putting in my 68 has a fox body style oil pan with dipstick tube,does anyone know where i can get a deep front sump pan with dipstick tube to fit? or do i have to change the timing cover and use one there?:confused: :1zhelp:

·
11,000 Posts
You have to change the timing cover. A pan mounted tube is for center or rear sump pans used in 4WD pickup, van or Fox bodies.

Use a stock front cover for a 351W.

Oil pans are at http://www.summitracing.com and don't forget to buy the matching oil pump pickup tube.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Edsal, if you really dont want to change the timing cover you could weld a tube in the new pan. But if the motors out of the vehicle its not really a big deal to change the front cover. mm

·
Registered
588 Posts
I reused the 5.0 timing chain cover by drilling the cover for a front mounted dipstick tube. See if the 351W cover has a flat spot on it where the dipstick should go. Since the pan has to come off anyway, it isn't much more to stuff rags into the area and drill the hole from the top.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys,i went ahead and ordered a milodon 8qt pan and changed the timing cover,almost done with it,just need to put balancer back and remount electric motor for the water pump.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts