Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to have to replace the oil pan on my 70 Cougar with 351c. The previous owner had used an over sized drain plug and when I changed oil, I could not get it to stop dripping. I tried a double over sized plug and it sealed great on first installation, but when I backed it out to check for thread shavings, it stripped when I re-installed it.

I have ordered a new pan and two piece fel-pro gasket set. I don't want any oil leaks - already tired of my trans leaks from the FMX. What gasket sealant do folks recommend and should it be applied to both surfaces, or just the engine or just pan.

Thanks -- Larry

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used the cork style gasket on mine with the black high temp silicone on both sides and it still seeps just a little. Figured i need to tighten the bolts again though as it doesn't get driven much.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Well Larry, looks like you got a project then....you may have been able to salvage the pan once you got it out, but no matter. I usually only use sealant on the block side ands have very good luck that way (RTV is fine for this). That way you can remove it easier in the off chance you would need to. Be sure to torque to specs and in sequence! Most people over tighten it and end up with leaks. The only pan side sealant I'd do is a dab in the corners where the gaskets join up. Be sure to let it "skin over" before assembly....good luck

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, thanks for the replies. I appreciate the insight. I plan to tackle this job next weekend and hope I don't encounter any other surprises.

Larry

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm guessing your doing this oil pan swap with the motor in place, just be aware that you'll need a gasket for the oil pump's pick-up tube, you'll need to reach up in and unbolt it, It's been awhile for messing with a 351C in a cougar, can you just drop the pan right out after removing that crossbrace and not even mess with the pick-up tube?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I'm planning on doing this with the engine in the car. I knew that I had to remove the cross member and unbolt the steering linkage at the frame rail for clearance, but I didn't think I had to mess with the oil pump pick-up tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts