Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to change my oil pan gasket. It's a 1970 351 W w/FMX. Can I just drop the lower crossbar and leave the steering components alone? It looks like it should be that easy. But I get the feeling its not.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thats funny, I logged on to ask this SAME question and saw this post. Mine however is a 69.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I am trying to remember way back but I believe the oil pump and pickup will not allow it to come out all the way. You might have to drop it down a bit and remove the oil pick up for it to clear.

Now, they make one and multi piece gaskets. If you are using a one piece it will be more tricky if you can not remove the pan completely.

Best is to remove it all the way so you can get the old gasket cleaned off and all the junk out of the pan. If it will not come out, you can also raise up the engine a bit with a hoist.

Just some ideas good luck. Messy Messy!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you drop the lower crossmember and unbolt the idler arm from the frame, the pan should drop free and clear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 70 cat,with a 351 cleavland. 7 at deep front sump pan. I took cross member,starter and also lowered my steering rack. And I still have a hard time removing my oil pan. By the way I also have a t5 tranny. Do I have to remove timing cover also?

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
I did this on my 70 with a 351c. I unbolted the center crossmember, unbolted the motor mounts, and raised the engine still in the car. I got the oil pan off easy and replaced the oil pump and rebolted the oil pan back up.

thanks
pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts