Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my oil pump shaft has become dislodged from the pump and as a result I can not install the distributor as it can not line up with the oil pump shaft. The shaft is "falling" to the side and I'm told that if properly installed into the oil pump it can not fall like that. Does that seem true?

Assuming this is true, I need to pull the oil pan, remove the oil pump, and reinstall the shaft. Is there anything tricky to this? I've never pulled an oil pan and I'd like to be prepared for whatever I may be getting into.

This is on a 289.

Thanks,

·
Registered
175 Posts
No real tricks.

You need to put the car up high on jack stands. Drain the oil first. You'll have to remove the cross member and possibly disconnect the steering linkage. No problem if you don't change any of the settings, if you do it'll have to be re-aligned when you finish. Take the bolts out and drop the pan. You should be able to get to shaft without having to remove the pump. There should ba a little catch washer on the shaft that rides just below the housing for the distributor to keep it from pulling out of the pump when you take the dist. out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No you shouldnt have to pull the pan as long as you can see the shaft. I have a set of flexable "Fingers" to reach in and grab the shaft and reset it in the pump. Any sears hardware, etc should have a set. mm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oil pump shaft.

I always have a little trouble with oil pump shafts. It seems to always want to flop around in the hole, but you will get it sooner or later. It's like trying to bake a cake with rubber arms Ha Ha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts