Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently swapped motors in my '67 Cougar (rod knock in the original motor). I have a circa '88 302 roller motor. I have the stock '67 oil pan.

Since I'm using the late 80's pulleys/belt/PS Pump and alternator, the front dipstick will not work.

Since I have the '67 pan on the '93 block - the side hole in the engine block for the dipstick tube is blocked by the gasket rail on the '67 pan.

Yes, I can have someone customize my pan to hopefully weld a cutout in the rear portion of the pan so I can insert a dipstick, however I'd rather not have to do that.

Does anyone know of a Windsor motor car pan or aftermarket pan that will fit in these old cougars to enable the use of the later side mounted dipsticks?

· Registered
748 Posts
The oil is in the front of the engine, adding a dipstick in the rear location will do nothing for you. I did this swap back in the 90's and drilled the timing cover for the factory front sump dipstick. I did have to tweak it around a bit to clear everything, but it worked fine.

You can have a bung welded into the side of the front sump of the pan and use a universal aftermarket dipstick.

If you plan on using a mechanical fuel pump, you'll need to add an eccentric and change the timing cover to one with a mechanical pump boss.

· Registered
7,580 Posts
I did the same thing, using an HO roller from a 93 Cougar. I didn't think about the dipstick as a single solution, I ended up buying one of these-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts