Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the first oil change it seems as though there isn't much oil in the filter. Normally when you undo the filter, the oil overflows, I get nothing. In the filter there is some oil but it's not full.
Oil pressure is mid-scale and I have no engine issues. The engine seems to be running fine and has for the last 4 years but every-time I change the oil it bugs me.

Could the oil be bypassing the filter some how?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Crank it up with the filter off and see how big of a mess it makes :) Jk don't do that.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Are you running the same brand filter every time? Wondering if there is a problem with the drain back valve on a cetain brand, or brands that may be made by the same company. Personally I like the Pure One filters, they have a higher quality silicone like valve in them.

Even if a filter goes into bypass mode, it should still be full.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Not trying to sound stupid but what is the oil level? when you fill it are you per say filling the filter first? Even low on oil I would think the filter would remain full though?

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you running the same brand filter every time? Wondering if there is a problem with the drain back valve on a cetain brand, or brands that may be made by the same company. Personally I like the Pure One filters, they have a higher quality silicone like valve in them.

Even if a filter goes into bypass mode, it should still be full.
Different oil filters. Last time it was Mobil one.

Not trying to sound stupid but what is the oil level? when you fill it are you per say filling the filter first? Even low on oil I would think the filter would remain full though?
Yup oil level is full. I usually fill the filter first with enough oil to get it on without spilling it

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I would not use the anti-drainback valve type filters!! I have had an issue with those coming apppart internally and then the silicone flap plugs up the filter!

Ray, have you you simply tried just start it up for s few seconds and pull the filter? If it's not full then, I'd carefully pull the dizzy and see if you haven't barber poled your oil drive shaft> xing my fingers you haven't.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...Yup oil level is full. I usually fill the filter first with enough oil to get it on without spilling it
Hi Ray, how you doing buddy? How is the Mustang resto coming along? How did the repro shock towers work out? I have my parts car (69) ones cut out but no one (so far) wants/needs them.

Anyway, I never thought of partly filling the oil filter before putting it on, sounds like a neat concept (but I would probably make a mess trying it!).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
k & n makes probably the best offthe shelf oil filter---very low pres drop and takes care of the big chunks---a little pricy @ $ 12.00 but that works out to less than a buck a month--if you have an old fe in a car or truck , try it --the oil pres will increase dramaticly
doctordesoto

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ray, you probably don't have an issue. But next time, just verify that the bypass plug is installed on the filter adaptor bolted to the block. I don't know the Ford engines but on Chevrolet big blocks, the oil filter adapter on Mark IV's from 1968-later have a small disk that is captured, and spring loaded to allow for unfiltered oil to bypass in case the filter got plugged up. I'm assuming the Ford engines have the same type of setup.

What I did on my drag race engine was I removed the spring and disk completely and tapped the hole for an NPT thread to accept an allen plug. So now, all oil MUST go thru the filter. I don't know the pressure at which it was designed to open, but the spring seemed kinda flimsy. Of course I use the higher rated Fram race filter (higher burst pressure) and I monitor oil pressure closely and know not to goose it cold since the oil pressure is way more than stock and things like that.

Not suggesting it for your case but something to consider, at least you could investigate your filter adapter bypass.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...But next time, just verify that the bypass plug is installed on the filter adaptor bolted to the block. I don't know the Ford engines but on Chevrolet big blocks, the oil filter adapter on Mark IV's from 1968-later have a small disk that is captured, and spring loaded to allow for unfiltered oil to bypass in case the filter got plugged up. I'm assuming the Ford engines have the same type of setup...
They don't Kevin, at least not on any Ford engine I remember seeing.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ray, have you you simply tried just start it up for s few seconds and pull the filter? If it's not full then, I'd carefully pull the dizzy and see if you haven't barber poled your oil drive shaft> xing my fingers you haven't.
I have not tried that. Since it has been that way for years and my pressure gauge reads fine, I don't think it is a dizzy problem.

Hi Ray, how you doing buddy? How is the Mustang resto coming along? How did the repro shock towers work out? I have my parts car (69) ones cut out but no one (so far) wants/needs them.

Anyway, I never thought of partly filling the oil filter before putting it on, sounds like a neat concept (but I would probably make a mess trying it!).
Hey Bob! I always put oil in the filter. Some of the newer filters go on the car straight up so you can really fill them up.
The mustang is going slow. I have the cowl off (all those spot welds!) and I need to weld on a new flange before putting it back together. New responsibilities at work keeping me away from it though. Hopefully this winter I'll get a lot done. I hope to try those notched shock towers this winter to. That 460 is just dying to get into the engine bay

Ray, you probably don't have an issue. But next time, just verify that the bypass plug is installed on the filter adaptor bolted to the block.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. That was my first thought, so this time when I pulled the filter I also pulled the adapter plug and there is no bypass. Maybe it's draining back to the engine because usually I haven't used the car for a week or so before I pull the filter.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...Maybe it's draining back to the engine because usually I haven't used the car for a week or so before I pull the filter.
I'd say this is a very good possibility, I thought the problem was removing the filter with the engine warm/just having been run (how most people change oil, right?).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts