Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a very small oil leak between the intake and the block just behind the distributor. 351W. is there any way to fix this without taking it all apart?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You have to remove the intake and toss the friggin' cork gaskets. Just use a nice bead of silicone on the ends instead. It's a very common issue with cork gaskets. I like the Mr Gasket intake gaskets better than the Felpro ones IMO....but whatever they carry at you parts store will suffice.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to remove the intake and toss the friggin' cork gaskets. Just use a nice bead of silicone on the ends instead. It's a very common issue with cork gaskets. I like the Mr Gasket intake gaskets better than the Felpro ones IMO....but whatever they carry at you parts store will suffice.
ok. thanks. what kind of silicone?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Blue RTV works for me.....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
100% pure, NOT fortified with silicone. I have always used just the 100% ORIGINAL clear silicone.

Don't get carried away with to much, don't want excess dripping into intake valley.

Dale in Indy

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I throw away the cord end gaskets and use Permatex UltraBlue or UltraBlack. Never had a leak since. Other silicone sealers do NOT adhere well, especially if they are exposed to gas/oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts