Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a REEEEEALLY small oil leak (if it's really POSSIBLE to have a SMALL oil leak!) from the rear of my '302 since I rebuilt it.

It comes out of the rear, just maybe 2-3 drips a day, and appears at the seam where the bellhousing meets the little cover that goes on the bellhousing between it and the tranny.

I REFUSE (dammit!) to believe it's the rear main seal. I suspect it might be leaking from the flywheel bolt holes. As I recall, for just that very reason (oil leaks) I read to seal the bolts when reinstalling the flywheel ('cause oil can get from inside through the bolt holes - though now thinking back I can't figure out how), so I did that, but had the wrong flywheel when I was bolting the rebuilt engine back into the car, so unbolted it, got the correct flywheel, and put the right one back on without resealing the bolts ('cause it was raining, I was cold and pissed off, and just plain ripe for making a stupid such decision :( )

So, after all that - my question is, does anyone have an opinion about how likely it is that my teeny-leak is coming from the flywheel bolts? Or must I swallow my flagging pride and admit that it might be the rear main?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My opinion on oil leaks.

oil leak opinions, please?

Some people seem to like having them, but I always found them to be gaudy and downright nasty. Maybe I'm just lazy, but it seems like too much work keeping them clean. No matter what you do they attract dirt. No matter how much fresh oil you add it just collects more dirt. I am against them.

:1poke: :lol2:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
[/sarcasm]

Seriously, I have never seen a flywheel bolt leak. I suspect the rear main seal or the rear intake seal.

Besides, even if they do leak, how much oil can those little bolts hold?!? :D

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZzzzzING, ZzzzzzING

Daayyaaam...slapped upside the head yet again for lack of wordcraftsmanship. ;) TWICE yet...

I guess I'll have to drop that dang tranny and actually have a LOOK.

I was really hoping that after 3 years, it would just GO AWAY by itself... Hey - it could happen... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I doubt that it is the flywheel bolts, there isn't a reason to have an oil passage in the crank there (no reason to lube the crank bolts). Pull the inspection plate, maybe you will get lucky and it is just dirty tranny fluid instead. A clean/dirty interior bell housing will answer that.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...you know, I THOUGHT I read about the oil leak through the flex plate bolt holes in a manual when I was rebuilding the car, but realized (after an extensive, hoping-to-be-able-to-say-I-told-ya-so search through my books and on the internet) last night that it wasn't WRITTEN experience, but rather when I was transporting the rebuilt engine in the back of my jeep to where the car was in order to install it, I didn't yet have the flex plate on it, and it tilted back while I was driving, and "customized" the rear cargo area of my brand-spankin'-new Grand Cherokee!!! I KNOW the oil came from those darn holes!

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I need to crawl under there (I TOLD my wife we needed that garage with the mechanic's pit in the floor!!!) and drop the tranny and see whassup. I saw alot of folks out there complaining about the rear seals blowing out after a rebuild with a high-pressure oil pump. That just doesn't seem right...but I guess I'll need to do that at some point (as soon as I replace my power steering to stop THAT leak!). Those are the only two leaks under that sweet ride...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts