Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was underneath my car the other day, and though I've been under there many times, it really got to me how dirty it is. There's obviously 35 years worth of dirt, grime, dust, etc...it almost looks like the under side of my car is coated in this thick black coating.

I also realized that oil is leaking around my oil pan (the big blue thing) and there is what looks like trasmission fluid leaking from a small, square, metal pan just behind the oil pan. My question is how difficult would it be to take these pans off, clean them up and then put new gaskets on and put them back on?

Also, anyone know of a good way to clean all the crap off the bottom of the car? I'm guessing I might lose a hundred pounds off the weight of the car if I can get it all off :p:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ok well the trans pan is not that hard, however the oil pan may be depending on motor. I would suggest steamcleaning the car like they do for motors. Best way is to atually put it on a lift and spray it down with degreaser and all then hose it off but not everyone has that luxury.
Lemme know how it turns out!

·
Registered
339 Posts
You can also take a putty knife to get a lot of the grime, That worked on my years of grime. To pull the oil pan the cross member will need to come off, and even then it is a tight squeeze to get the pan in and out. It is possible though.

T

·
0 Posts
grosse, I am a clean freak when it comes to my coug, the pans should be easy to do depending on whats in the way of the bolts. Buy a bottle of purple stuff it will eat right through the grime and a bunch of rags if u have no lift. every time u change ur oil wipe underneath of car down. stick to that regime than u'll be able to eat off ur under carriage

·
Registered
794 Posts
I tried Gunk when I was cleaning up the underside, but it really sucks when it drips in your face while you are under there scrubbing. I found that GOJO handcleaner works better than anything else if you slather on a bit and scrub it with your wife's kitchen brush. Seriously though, works way better than I thought it would, and doesnt sting when you get it in your eyes.

Get prepaired for a mess. I got all grungy while scrubbing the underside.

Steam clean? Who actually has a steam cleaner anyways?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts