Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when I took the top off my aircleaner i saw quite a lot of oil in there... How come?
I have lines from both valvecovers going in to the aircleaner and the one on the right side had been supplying the oil...
Is the crankcase-ventilation clogged up or what could be causing this? Too high oilpressure?
Aircleaner and hoses are stock, I think, (2bbl 302 from a '71 mustang) Might be a valve or something removed that should be there to stop this from happening?

This has happend pretty recent. Could it have been my day at the track that did this. A couple (4) of 1/4-mile passes. Other than that I've been driving the same way all summer and the last time I had the aircleaner apart (before this time) there was no sign of oil...

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
78 Posts
oil in the air breather

it is my understanding that when you have oil in the air breather, the pcv filter area, the pcv valve is clogged or is sticking and is letting the oil in from the valve covers thru the pcv filter. I cant remember if the 67 model cougars had that kind of system, with the pcv valve on the engine or not, but you may ask around or check on this aspect.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
more than likely it is a clogged pcv valve so try replacing that first as they are extremely cheap and you should remedy the problem.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hejsan !

If PCV valves aren't readily available in Kristinehamn then try to clean out the one you have with some solvent. When it works it make a ratteling sound when shaken as the valve inside moves back and forth.

If the PCV valve isn't the culprit you may find that the oil in the air filter element is the first sign of the engine getting "tired". Under heavy load blow-by is more likely to occur. At the drag racing runs you may have taken it to RPMS the engine rarely ever sees during normal driving. A compression test will tell if this is the case.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hejsan på dig med Martin!

Well I guess i have to check to see if I have any PCV-valve or if it's just a hose from each valvecover... Havn't studied it too closely but if I remember correctly I don't have any pcv-valve...
Could that be the problem?
Otherwise I'm sorry to say that I think Martin could be right... Maybe the engine is getting a little tired...
(it's supposed to be rebuilt, meaning new pistonrings and bearings and so on, but maybe it's time again...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts