Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil guage reads very close to 90. Is this normal? It bugs me. It's been like that since I bought it (8 yrs. ago) and no one knows why. The owners manual says it should be around 45 (1/2 way between the high and the low). Maybe, the gauge is faulty?:1zhelp:

·
Registered
160 Posts
gauge or not

Well you might consider this possibly the gauge reading is incorrect and gauge is causing it or maybe the sending unit is faulty. I believe you should be able to get another and replace it fairly easy and shouldn't cost to much. Or get an after market gauge and see what it reads. just some stuff to think about.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the sending unit? Rookie here.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I believe on the 351 its located on the driver side above the fuel pump on you timing chain cover. Look there and see if its there if not well maybe somebody else knows exactly.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
On the Cleveland, its on the back flat spot on the block behind the intake. Should be about 1 1/2 inch round looking thing with a wire coming out of it.

Rick

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cool learned something new today thanks Rick. I know where the one on my engine is and now I know where the clevelands' is. I 've got a 73 351W

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oil guage

Thanks guys! I'll take a look tommorrow. I need to put in a new condenser and maybe a coil anyway. So, I'll be under the hood. But, I don't really mind.:p:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I've had some that really did run that much oil pressure. I'm not bs-ing. If your motors fairly new its possible. mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
My fairlane runs at 75psi at cruize, and 50 at idle. It's 289 power, with a high volume oil pump.

Rick

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oil gauge

Do you think it'll run that high with an overhauled motor with about 13,000 miles on it? Maybe, that's why!:D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
13k isnt anything, so yes, if it was put together carefully with tight tolerances and a good oil pump it can certainally have that kind of oil pressure.

If thats the case stay away from heavy 20w50 oil and make sure you use a good name brand oil filter and you will have no trouble at all. With tight clearences heavy oil maynot work very well and I have had a cheap filter blow its guts apart with that kind of pressure.

I keep a good Stewart Warner mech gauge in my garage just for using to check to see if the stock gage or sender is correct. I just plum it in under the hood and see what it reads, I trust it not the elec gages At least it lets me see if the elec gage is accurate or not. mm

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
New problem.....

I was told that my carburator choke is sticking causing the car to run rough when it gets hot (5 miles or more). Too many stops(more than 3) and it will turn over and not start. Have to wait until the car cools off. (about a half hour or more)Then someone else told me they thought it is the condenser and/or coil so, I changed them. Now, the car won't start at all! Turns over and that's it! I put the old parts back in and still won't start! AAARRGGGHHH! Maybe, it's flooded now.:mad: :angryfi:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It doesn't pay to get too mad or too happy!

My new problem was simple...got my Chilton's manual out and found out I had the damn wires on backwards! Got real happy thinking that was the problem and tried to start the car...wouldn't start. Remembered I forgot to put the rotor back in! Put it back in and voila! Cranked right up. Oh, I did reset the points and cleaned the connections. I'll give it a good long spin tommarrow and see if it will still act up.:D See....even a girl can do it!!!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Glad you got it going. Your making some guys look bad I'm sure. If that choke really is sticking and your thinking on a 4 bbl in the future anyway, you can just wire the choke open. Or just loosen the 3 screws (if they not rivited) on the round black choke cap and rotate it till it opens the choke fully and retighten the screw. But mark the original location in case you want to set it back someday. I know some will not like the suggestion but I think its better than trying to drive around with it partially closed. It will be cold blooded till it warms up so take it easy with it when its cold. mm

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Choke

Mine does have 3 screws on the side of the choke cover. I'll try that if it still runs rough. I also, heard of cleaning the spring...;)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If its a hot air choke, then cleaning the spring will help abit. Soak it in carb cleaner or brake cleaner, for awhile. Then wipe it off. Have fun. I should show this post to a friend of mine, he doesnt even know how to turn a wrench. Cougar chicks ROCK.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are damn straight!:ylsup: The grille kept grabbing my shorts!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts