Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my new 460 has been running worse and I know it needs the valves adjusted a little(slight chattering) but would the oil from the coil cause this?? It recently started backfiring out the carb and exhaust and for the second time I have found oil from the coil when removing the coil wire...and its a pretty good amount of oil...splattered all over the fender well and its still full inside the top of the coil. I have an msd ignition with a flamethrower II coil. Is it time to replace the coil? Also what color should the oil be inside the coil? The stuff I have coming from mine is slightly greenish/clear.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Wow, talk about deja-vu.
I had the exact same issue with my 460. I figured it was a combination of vibration and the coil being mounted on it's side.
Long story short - replace the coil and mount it right-side-up so the oil can't leak out even if the seal comes loose.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That is the correct color of oil that would be found in a coil. With a lack of oil it will overheat and not fire off correctly. The bad thing about testing a coil is, you can't really. Best to just test it with a known good one. I am sure that is where your problem is. Not sure if it is stong enough for you, but I have a Blaster SS that I will get rid of cheap that is brand new. http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?52477-Looking-to-upgrade-your-ignition-coil it is epoxy filled so no chance of leaking. Or, there is a Flame Thrower II that is epoxy filled. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-45111/

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have a ton of vibration with that 460...LOVE every cubic inch though. Really powerful motor and I didnt really do much too it. I actually used your write up on installing it to get my project going. I got tired of dumping all that money into my 302. Now it goes in the tank though :p I bought a new coil to match my msd setup so tomorrow after I put my valvetrain back together I will let you guys know if it solved my issues.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer but I already bought one. I went to autozone and picked one up. Hopefully tomorrow I can get everything back together and with my new valve body coming in tomorrow hopefully I can get my 2nd gear shifting right. I will let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes and I did have some issues when doing my install. I still have no sway bar. For whatever reason the 1 inch bar was way off and didnt even come close to bolting in and my crossmember had to be lowered about a 1/4 inch. Other than that I think everything else was great. It really helped and motivated me when doing mine.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That will likely fix your troubles. Mount your coil in a place that keeps it the farthest from a heat source. They can get hot enough to boil in some cases - crack the case and leaks out. Some race cars actually have 2 coils with a switch to cut over to the fresh "cool" coil when they have been running them hard for extended periods. Also one thing to look out for on high energy coils is they tend tend to jump from the primary winding to the secondary winding under high loads - 2 solutions: either buy the coil tha has the extended case, or put a non-conductive HV protetor over the primary to keep it from arcing to the secondary. (You can see if it's happening by reving the thing up in a dark garage and watchfor the pretty blue arc!) - Sometimes it will jump to a ground which means you need to relocate it or add a non-conductive protector there as well. (Mine would jump to the fender apron when I had it mounted a bit to close)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Oh yes and I did have some issues when doing my install. I still have no sway bar. For whatever reason the 1 inch bar was way off and didnt even come close to bolting in and my crossmember had to be lowered about a 1/4 inch. Other than that I think everything else was great. It really helped and motivated me when doing mine.
Glad to hear the write-up helped you out. What motor mounts/brackets and oil pan did you use?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Pertronix coils have a issue leaking. This can usually be solved by tightning the screw inside the top/tower. If you want to avoid this totally (as 1970 FastCat said), get the epoxy one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the crites mounts with the fpa headers and a stock 429 pan. I think maybe the sway bar they gave me was for a 71-73 maybe. It was way off so im sure it wasnt for a 67.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts