Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not my 70 cougar my my daily driver 79 fairmont 302 auto.I'm getting oil in the air cleaner assembly and also it seems to be leaking near the dipstick tube on to the exhaust manifold.I've put a new PCV and also a crankcase filter took the valve covers of and cleaned the baffles.I'm stumped

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Blow by. Lots of blow by. Hi mileage?

·
Registered
798 Posts
With the engine running,Take the PCV Valve out of it's hole, and put your thumb over the end of the valve. it should click & you should feel it pull. if not, clean the tube where it enters the Carb. If white smoke comes out of the valve cover while it's running, the compression rings are worn, and an overhaul is needed.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I commend you on having a still running 79 Fairmont!
Must be a neat experience to drive one of those in 2011. :smoke:

did it start these symptoms suddenly?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
You can drill a small hole in "cap" of the dipstick, and the tube, and get a spring to keep the dipstick from coming out, thereby keeping more oil in the block....If that turns out to be the problem.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
new wheels 001.jpg yes this started out of the blue the car ran great when i brought it home.There is a fair bit of smoke coming out the valve cover.the car has 43K on it.I'm sorry i read the white smoke reply wrong there is no white smoke.It looks like normal exhaust smoke

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Check the PCV system even unto the plate under the carb which may be filled with crud.
Also, check your rubber fuel lines throughout the car to make sure the modern ethanol included fuels aren't eating them up.

The base plates on the 70's/80's cars were very bad about getting blocked with crud. I'd start looking at all the vacuum lines and the PCV lines on that thing and be ready to replace them all. There's a lot of vacuum assisted emission and stuff on that engine. Or there was from the factory.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have cleaned and replaced most lines.I took apart the line from the PCV to the carb it wasnt to bad but I did'nt check under the carb to see if that is the problem.I will do that next:confused:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
dude, you got a great car there, you could do soo much with all the fox parts avaialble! i think the futura is the best looking of the fairmonts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went and bought a 351 w I'm going to rebuild that and put it in.Thanks everyone for the input.It is a neat car but it sure aint no cougar

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, but like Andy says -- it's a driving miracle the thing survives! It will make a sweet ride and you will most likely be the only kid on the block with one! Let us know it's coming along...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts