Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I recently replaced my oil pan and found that the engine that I have came from another vehicle with a different depth oil pan. I replaced with the typical Mustang/ Cougar 302 OE pan. This caused an issue with the oil level on the dipstick because the pan installed is a deeper pan than the one (both 5qt) I removed.
I bought a new tube and dip stick, not knowing which was going to be the issue and am about to replace them. I can't find anything in the repair manual or on the boards about this procedure so figure I should ask before I move forward. The current tube is not mounted to the head as the new one will be, seems a bit odd but is what it is... I am assuming that I give the tube a good pull and it will come out of the block, them I pursuade the new one in and mount it to the head with the attached bracket. I don't know if there is supposed to be an "O ring" involved, did not recieve one with the replacement kit.
Anyone have an opinion on this?? Seems simple enough but that is usually where I make the biggest mistakes.
Thanks and hope someone has been down this road and can help me out.
Charlie

·
Registered
913 Posts
It will take more than a little tug, but you have the right idea, and there is no O ring involved . After you get the new one in, you might want to check where oil level is and see if it is at the correct mark on the stick.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am pretty sure it. Will be at the right place once I replace the tube and dipstick. The current dipstick is about an inch and a half shorter than the one that I got. Mustangs Unlimited's solution to the original problem was to measure how far off the measurement was on the dipstick and to cut that much off the tube. The inch and a half mentioned. I was not 100% comfortable with this so ordered a Mustang/Cougar dipstick and tube to see what the difference was. Turns out the tube is the same length as the one that I cut, before the cut but the stick is an inch and half longer. This means I live with what I have done to get the reading to match or replace the old tube and dipstick with the new chrome one I got. Thinking I will go with the chrome set, hope it will not be too much of a pain in the ass to swap out...
When you say more than a tug to remove it, do you mean that it will be really stuck in there, or is there something I am missing? Thanks for responding. Hope you can set me straight on the removal and if there is any trick to getting the new one in.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I like to use an O-ring regardless of whether or not one belonged there or not.

·
Registered
913 Posts
There is nothing holding the tube in except force, I have completely destroyed some removing them, they go back a little easier.
If the cover is off, it can be driven out from below, but not the case with you. God luck.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
they are pressed in about 3/4 inch until the little collar seats against block. I like the idea of just cutting off the tube though.....easy enough. Unless your new one is fancy (chrome) and you want that. Gettin the new ine in without tweaking it is the hard part. To extract them I break it off at the block and run a sheet metal screw in far enough to get a bite on it and then use a cats paw or something to pop it out with.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm... Sounds like one of those: If it's not broke, don't fix it situations. I did get the chrome one because price difference was minimal. I was more curious about what was going on and why the different readings... I have satisfied curiosity and now have stick that reads correct after cutting the tube. Would hate to wind up turning nothing into a real pain. Was hoping it would be an easy out and in. Maybe best to leave well enough alone.
Charlie

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yep - bet you didn't break a sweat either! Steel going into aluminum is always a challenge.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love to be able to do just that but..... I have already cut the existing tube to fit the dipstick that was giving the erronious readings. The short stick now gives the correct reading but cutting the tube has kind of F*#$ed me from being able to use a regular Mustang/Cougar dipstick anymore. Unless I decide to do battle to get the old one out and pray I don't bend the new one getting it in...
This is why I have decided at this point to just leave well enough alone, untill I come up with an easy way to remove and replace the dipstick tube or get to a point one day that I am so board that I have to do something them I will " open pandoras box".
Thanks for thinking of me and I am still open to any suggestions that will make this a simple operation without the risk of cousing a nightmare should things go the way that "Murphy" likes them to go..
Charlie

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think you defeated Murphy just fine. It's easier to deal with if you have the timing cover off because you can drive it out with punch then slide a socket down the new one so you can use that to tap against to drive it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts