Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Looks like my paycheck is headed for the hopper. I just took the 70 Standard for its PA Inspection. Anyone know an estimate on what I'll be saving if I do the wok myself? So far, I'm told I need new control arm bushings and rear springs/bushings. I have an exhaust leak by the manifold, and it looks like the entire floor needs replacement. I'm having the garage fax me over an estimate, which I can post in a breakdown later. Wouldn’t be so tight on spending the time and cash this summer to do the work, but the wife is expecting TWINS in June. Getting money outta here is like prying a bone from a bulldog.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Inspection, Whats That??

From a former Massachussetts resident now living in Iowa, I'm well aware of all of the inspection Bull-oney you folks are living under up there. I still find it unbelievable when I hear about it though.

No inspections whatsoever here in Iowa, unless a cop sees you with something wrong, and then you get to "donate" into the great State of Iowa income side of the equation.

Glad to be gone from Mass,

Ron.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
SUSPENSION REBUILD

A REALLY FUN JOB AND SO NICE TO HAVE IT ALL DONE. CALL THE COUGAR VENDERS ( LIKE JOHN'S CLASSIC COUGARS) AND GET THE PRICES ON ALL THE PARTS. JUST REBUILD THE WHOLE FRONT END AND REPLACE THE REAR LEAF SPRINGS AND BUSHINGS. PROBABLY RUN ABOUT $700 FOR EVERYTHING AND YOU DO THE WORK. EXAUST GASKET LEAK? MAYBE A NEW GASKET OR SOME HIGH TEMP SILICONE. OR A NEW DONUT. CHEAP FIX...WORTH THE MONEY TO DO THE SUSPENSION THOUGH, DRIVES, FEELS, AND WORKS BETTER AND WILL LAST A LONG TIME. USE POLY BUSHINGS ALL OVER.. HAVE FUN..;)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Me being a liscenced heavy duty inspector in BC, there are a few things on the list that make you go WTF. But..... as in body rot, (ie, floors, trunk,etc.) and suspension, brakes, steering,etc. I wouldnt complain too much. Like the exhaust, fumes could leak into the car when you get the babies, and they could get sick, and its an easy job to fix, like cougarmannn says, gaskets, sealant, what ever. And rear prings, Ive seen them actually break going over bumps, so for $200. or so, you get new springs and piece of mind. And a basic front suspension rebuild is worth it now,(around 200.US or less from Canadian Mustang or Just Suspension) that way you wont have to worry about it for another 30 years. Better you get it fixed right before the twins arrive (congrats on that by the way), and let them enjoy it as much as you do.

Rick

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, still no word from the shop. (Fingers crossed) and as for the kids (or "nuggets" as they're known) they won't even get near that thing. Wife won't touch it as it is now. From what I'm hearing, the work don't sound too hard. I'll have a nice little leave of absence from work after delivery, so I guess I can shove a baby monitor next to the tool box and get to work. Majority is rebuilding the whole front suspension? Hmm

·
Registered
216 Posts
From a guy who just tackled the leaf spring replacement (Logan, you can echo this if you agree) be prepared to get agressive with the bolts in the front bushings of your leaf springs. If you have a while before you tackle the job, begin spraying these now every few days with some kind of penetrant. The problem is the bolt rusts into the metal bushing that the rest of the rubber is formed around, stinks like crazy and very messy to torch, and it's a job to get a cutoff wheel past the rubber to cut it, wants to bind up in the rubber. Mine had scratch-kick-bite marks all over it by the time I got it out. One came right out though, so hopefully you will be fortunate and yours will BOTH come right out.

Ron.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Holy, where from. Go ask a spring shop what they will charge to get yours re-arched and an added leaf. Probably tons cheaper. I work in a spring shop and even in Canada, it doesnt cost that much.Usually around 300. for a new set made, which is around 200.US. Shop around first.

Rick

·
Registered
160 Posts
springs

Hey I just put new leaf springs on my 73 and springs new were only about 220 then 145 or so for installed and new ubolts,shackle kit. I bought my springs from johns classic cougars

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey Cougrrrman..

where abouts in Nashiville do you live? that used to be my stomping grounds for two years a few years back. My buddy who like my brother lives down that way, Whitehouse. He has a bad ass 82 stang with a screaming 289 in it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
oh man, inspection for a 70? and I thought CA was the smog nazis. Here there is no inspection for 74 and older.

I am doing the front suspension on my 67 and it is easy as hell.
When you get a spring compressor go to NPD. I got one there for
29$ and it worked great. Not cheaply made either.
NPD

Check out TCCN for a great article on front and rear suspension rebuilds. Its only 10 bucks or so a year to join. tons of info.

TCCN

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just a quick thought, when I was replacing the rear springs on my MG the bolts were rusted solid to the sleeves on the front of the spring. I just used my sawzall to go along the rubber bushing & cut the bolts, once the bolts were cut the spring dropped out.......
Mark

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you have an MG?? sweet. im gonna try and bring a 60 MGA back to life this summer. its been in my grandmas garage for 25 years just sitting there. my uncle pulled the floorboards out of it back then to replace them and err, just kinda stopped. its a 60 MGA 1600. i love the wire wheels and true knock offs on it. sweet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s what I love about this place...Plenty of support. Hey, evilmess, could you post or e-mail me that link again? I keep getting a -m\no server found- page. Looks like I'll just let the boys in the shop make a list of "what - to - do's and start crackin. Good news is I can snag my brother-in-law who's a mechanic to give me a hand. He has a lot of free time now that some jackass ran a stop sign and totaled his 67 Camaro.
-Thanks for the advise fellas, I'll let ya know how it comes out.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
TO 1974 COUGAR

COUGRRRMAN LIVES IN NORTHEAST NASHVILLE. NEAR RIVERGATE AREA. WHITEHOUSE IS NOT VERY FAR FROM HERE. FORD FANATICS AND ESPECIALLY COUGAR FANS ALWAYS WELCOME..

VINTAGE RACERS RULE!!!:D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Inspection? Here in Florida there are no inspections. Actually, around greater Miami the cops won't even pull over cars that are driving around and are obviously unsafe! Guess they have too much crime going on to worry about some guys car!

The suspension work won't be that bad. Just get ready to put some muscle in for the rear leafs, especially that eye bushing. You may have to heat the nut. I had to cut both mine to get them off!

Do the floor first!! and check the frame rails while you're at it. Make sure it's all solid, especially where the suspension bolts to it.
Once that's done, then do the rest. Just my .02
Bert

1 - 17 of 17 Posts