Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew a head gasket :cry: in the Fairlane. It got real hot (250* and climbing). it's only 32c today, and just went about 1 mile up the road for coffee. Went to the rad shop to find out the price for a 3 core rad, (325. Can.) Major pi$$ off, now I think I warped the head, glad I have another set of 68 302 heads here (not for sale anymore). I guess this weekend I'll be swapping heads, new thermostat, maybe even the dual 4:D

Please cheer me up.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy at the rad shop did a sniffer test. he said exhaust gases got in the rad. The car has been running strange for awhile and leaking oil and water, so I guess thats why:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
250??? WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! i get paranoid if my stock temp guage goes 1/3 of the way up..... no marks on it though, so hell, that could mean 140 degrees or 290 as far as im concerned lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know how that whole TEMP thing goes. When I bought my 67 I thought for sure something was blown, or going to. That thing took me 7 hours to drive a normally 3 hour tour, alot of stops and alot of gallons of water in the car with me.

It's got an aftermarket temp guage in it which pegged out at 280 on several occasions on the way home. Turned out the radiator was plugged and it took about 15 backflushes and the install of a Gano Filter to fix it. After being that hot so many times, I'm amazed it didn't get screwed up. I still get alot of junk out of the block in that gano filter.. those things ROCK! Worth WAY more than the $29.95.

Robert

·
Registered
600 Posts
Gano Filter?

Please explaine this Gano filter to me.
And where does on get this Gano Filter?
Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Gano Filter...

it's a filter that stops all the junks from getting into your radiator. You take your top radiator hose and cut it in half, remove like a 1" section of hose and put this gano filter inline with the supplied clamps and safety wire to keep it from blowing apart. They make a brass and a plastic one. I like the plastic one because you can see into it and tell if the water is flowing.

I can't tell you enough how much I love this thing. You don't replace it either. I just take the top hose off, run water through it backwards and shake the crud into a cup so I can see what was there.

Mustangs Unlimited or Mustang Parts... SOMEone had them for $39.95 but I found them at Larry's Mustang and Thunderbird for $29.95. I think they're at www.larrysmustang.com

An AWESOME investment...

Robert

·
Registered
794 Posts
keeps crap like this out of the radiator:

Dont mind the arrow, its pointing to a busted bolt.
The back of the original water pump looked even worse. I think I will get one of those filters.

Dark,
look on the bright side, it could have been a cracked piston or someting really nasty. At least you have the parts to fix it.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
That is the same bolt that gavve me crap... what a whimpy bolt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it could be worse ..... you could have seised that motor:eek2:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, it could of been worse, and thank god I have the parts I needed. The bad thing is the valves for the 68 302 heads are fubar'd. I just got back from a machinist friend to look at the valves, and they are no good. Hopefully the ones in the heads that are on it are good, so I'll swap valves. If not, cars down.
But... what do you expect from a loner motor right? I'm doing it on Saturday, and cleaning and kinda opening up the 302 heads abit to get rid of the ridges tonight and tomorrow, and then assembling them after I take my heads off (lets hope those valves are good), or its garbage time and I'm taking up sewing classes. I will still come on here and make sure your all good, but I wont talk cars,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
110 Posts
well I have a water/ heating problem myself. My cougar seems to be loseing water but its not in the oil. its only a little bit at a time too. I'v everheated my car twice because of this reason, and I still havent found out were its all going to.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think it could be going out the exhaust, mine did, sorta ran out the tailpipe:( Now I know.

Rick

·
Registered
600 Posts
UMM OC i could not find it?

Hey i could not find it on there site, any help on this would be appreciated!...lol
Thanks
Rick good luck Sat. I will be right there beside you in spirit as i tear apart my perfectly good working motor...lol
GL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts