Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I know it isn't a cougar but I got the 66 mustang today for my wife. Its going to be another big project. As far as I can tell I hate it already....lol It needs everything!!! It has new paint but it was a nice paint job over crappy bodywork. The interior is ****!!! The carb needs adjusted and the brakes are spongy. I don't mind though, I love a challenge!!! I'll be looking for parts soon to swap out the 4 lug bolt pattern for five lug so I can put some decent wheels and power disc brakes with a dual master cylinder. Then it will be the addition of power steering. Next will probably be a 289 AOD swap. I'm planning on making a drive out of it for my wife. Wish me luck!!!
John
wvcat

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey good luck on the new project. Hey maybe I could drop off my next one for you just as soon as I find it:p:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like fun!! I've got 6 mustangs along with the 3 cougars. Can't seem to get enough when it comes to classic fords & mercs.

I'm in the middle of restoring a 66 coupe and a 67 convertible, and parting out two others.

Check out vintage-mustangs.com for a good mustang forum, the people are just as friendly and helpful as they are over here!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Uh-oh! here we go again. Watch out, it will nickle and dime your arse to death! I thought I would just do a few things to freshen up my 67 and now look at me. It has been up on jackstands for 9mo and now has a complete new front suspension and new rotors/pads on the way. As a matter of fact, I just spent 40$ on new bolts the other day. Bolts!
Good luck and post same pics!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out the site whizco looks pretty cool but need to spend a little more time there. Crazy cat I know where your comming from I'm already itching to rip the front fenders and suspension/steering/brakes off. I have to resist until I get some parts. I did post a pic in the gallery a short time ago, you will probably have to go to "wvacat" member gallery. I need a new digital camera but don't want to spend the money on it right now.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
John, If I come across a 69 project car and its a disk brake, I'll make you a deal on the whole front suspension maybe. I'll be going with the mustangII front end and I maybe able to hook you up with a 69 mustang 5 lug 8". Yeah its just a little wider but will probably work. OR I know a guy near me with a mustang grave yard behind his house, probably has 25 of em. Also my bro has a complete running (well it was when parked) 302 C4 in a 69. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
69?? what about a certain 70?? uh hem

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm tired and too lazy to type the "or 70" !!! And besides I'm still trying to avoid paying to get one home from Cali !!!

Also I just notice how you passed me up in the postings!!! And I PRIDED myself in being a blabber mouth:D . Dang younuns!!mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
AAHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA i win ........ who gets to 1000 first?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a 69 not far from me for 500 I looked at last year but I don't know if its still there. Sorry 69 the shipping would kill us, you would have to deliver the parts...lol Yeah Mark that rear is a little wider so I'm going to look for a while for a early rearend before I settle for on thats not the right width, even though I know it would probably work ok as long as I don't go crazy on tire sizes.
John
wvcat

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
WV,

You can probably get all the suspension/wheel/brake parts you need for the 66 stang by using Granada/Maverick parts. The front suspension should be what you need, and the rear end width is pretty close on the Mavs/early Stangs. Usually the Mustang stuff has been pretty picked over, but people tend to leave the Maverick/Comet/Granada/Monarch stuff alone.

An added bonus of the Mav/Granada disc setup is that the parts are a hell of a lot cheaper than the correct four-piston caliper stuff for a Mustang.

BTW, I do have the 66 disc setup, (spindles, steering linkage, dust shields, caliper brackets and one caliper). Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what you mean about the stang parts being picked over. I'm not worried about originality so I was figuring I'd go with the granada brakes. I would maybe be interested in your stuff but not immediatly, I'm getting ready to go on vacation and need to save some cash. Email me with a price at [email protected] and I'll get back with you

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Cougrrcj said:
but people tend to leave the Maverick/Comet/Granada/Monarch stuff alone.
AAAHH ha ha ha ... oohhhhhh... just try to go the the junkyard i frequent and find a Monarch or Granada with the front discs and spindles intact. they are picked as fast as the Stangs are now. and a Lincoln Versailles? never seen one in there. know a guy with a disc rear out of it... he wants like 1000 for it though. Booooo.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You know what? I think Cjs right about the Granada rear being about the right with. I forgot about them. I had a Versilles rear at one time and it measured like 58 1/2" from disk to disk. So I'm thinking the Granada is the same. I know that 67-70 Mustang and Cougars are 60" and the 65-66 Mustangs were just a hair narrower, I'm thinking like 58"

If all you need is an 8" it should be an easy find. Just try to avoid one from an OD, they had like 2.49 gears. But something tells me that the spring pads may have to be moved, but thats not a big deal. Just use a grinder to remove the weld and try not to get the tubes too hot when removing and rewelding them. mm

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Mark,
Check this out its from mustangs and more's site.
John

65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches
67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches
71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches
77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches
74 Maverick 8" 56.50 inches
75 Mustang II 8" 57.00 inches
67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches
57-59 Ranchero and station wagon rears, 57.25 inches
66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches
77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches
67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane, 59.25 inches
71-73 Mustang, 61.25 inches
64 Falcon 58 inches
67 Cougar 60 inches
67 Fairlane 63.50 inches (coil springs)
72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
73-86 65.25 inches
57-59 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 iches (narrowest 9" housing)
66-77 Bronco 58 inches but has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle
67-73 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches
67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches

·
Registered
122 Posts
gatorphan said:
I envy you guys. I need a bigger garage!
ME TOO!!!!

I only have a two car garage, and 22 cars, and a car trailer! I have a monthly storage yard fee of $108 bucks a month to store 9 of them. Thank goodness I have a covered R.V. parking on the side of my house otherwise my storage fees would be doubled.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Hey Granada,monarch, & versailles were all made at the same place .... Granada/ manarch... same same..... the only diff between those and the lincoln were some extra frame pads and a whole lot of trim:rolleyes:

Don

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
John, if that chart is right I'm feeling pretty good about remembering the versialles mesurment from all those years ago. BUT I dont think the chart is dead nuts on all them. They dont include the brake drums in the mesurments as I know the rear is 60" for the 67-70. I mesured the one I got rid of last summer out of the 70 I parted and I know it was right at 60"(maybe minuse 1/8-1/4) including brake drums. Besides the stock cars I used to run used a 60" track so I remember most the Junk yard measuring we used to do.

The chart is still a good reference point though but the difference between the Versilles rear and the Granada may prove that the rotor flange on the Versilles is at least 1/4" thick and explains the with differance compared to the thin brake drum on the Granada. It just shows that a difference that small really dosent mean much in the real world. mm

·
Registered
122 Posts
modifiedmark said:
They dont include the brake drums in the mesurments as I know the rear is 60" for the 67-70.

To be exact, it is 59.25 from flange to flange, not including the drums, just the axles. I just confirmed this on my 67 mustang sitting in the driveway. I also have a 69 cougar sitting on the side that I can measure, but I'm pretty sure it will be the same.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts