Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After work today I had to take my girls to a parade and I had to drive my wifes car because wvvcat is not reassembled yet.:( After the parade there was a small town carnival with a band and a few rides and games for the kids, nice but not real exciting. Here's where the getting lucky part comes in. When we got home as I was walking towards the door I could hear the fire alarms going off:eek: Directly above wvcat in the kitchen the oven knob must have been bumped before we left and the whole house was completely full of smoke. My wife uses the stove for extra storage and some things got melted, fortunatly there was no fire or damage other than the smell and a few pots and pans....whew!!! I could have lost my house and my cat but my most cherished possesions(figure of speach) was with me, my wife and kids. What a scare!!! This house stinks!!!
John
wvcat

·
Registered
600 Posts
Damn man!

Wow thanks god you and the family are ok!

I think it might be time for the wife to find a new storage spot...lol

Glad to hear you and all are ok tho:)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,
Everythings ok thank god and we have the doors and windows open with fans blowing in almost every room, the smoke has cleared but it might take a little while to get rid of the smell. Any ideas on getting the smell of melted plastic out of your house would be appreciated if anyone knows any good tricks.
Thanks John

·
Registered
600 Posts
hmmm

Well for the carpets and furniture(cloth) i would recommend Febreeze, and any good odor eliminator..hehee not a cover up but a eliminator...like Lysol, or the like.

Good luck and be safe John

:D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Glad to hear no major damage. I had a similar incident only with water. Last week I was about to go to bed ad I heard a funny noise while I just happened to go down to the basement. The noise was water pouring out from a broken 1" sprinkler valve on the outside of the house. Had I not heard the noise, my basement would have been full of water by morning. Water can ruin stuff as easily as fire. Whew. Anyway, If i were you I would call the local fire restoration shop and ask them what they would do to remove the odors. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
John, I went through a house fire many years ago and I wouldnt wish it on anyone. You lose many things that cannot be replaced. I'm gald all you got was a scare and some stink, now tell your wife to stop being silly and use the oven for meat loafs and such! Preferably so its done right as you get home from work!:D :D :D .mm

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
WOW you are lucky... good thing you caught in time. My oldest daughter was making french fries in our kitdhen and then fell asleep( kids !) It was a good thing the fire station is about a quarter mile away....... Good news no one was hurt AND I got a new kitchen:D ..... Bad news ....... they caceled my home insurance about 6 months later:angryfi: we had only been here 4 months when that happened:(

Don

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey!

One of the BEST natural odor elimibyebye is Vanilla... even just some vanilla extract in little dish things around.. Stuff is crazy.

Or, there's odor neutralizers that they mix up when they spray pesticides too.. But my vote is for the vanilla..

Of course, when we'd go into places with suicides or other bodily remains laying about, there's always smoking a cigar and methol under your nose. I'm sure the whole family would look cute with cigars and menthol.... better opt for the vanilla.. hehe.

Robert

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We tried the vanilla trick since we had some. I'm not sure if it worked but the house barely smells now after having the windows and doors open all day. The wife also picked up some febreze today and it seemed to work well on the furniture and carpet in the living room. Thanks for all the advice everyone, all is well on the home front:)
John
wvcat

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
gLAD YO HEAR THAT!!!!

dON:D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
empty a bag of charcoal in a trash can lid (dont lite it).
It worked for me. refried beans cooked away for hours, smoked the whole place out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts