Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You want suggestions for a new garage? I have one, I did my garage walls and ceiling in white metal. Several advantages are that they need no painting, reflect light very well, very durable ( let a hammer fly off a piece of drywall once) very fire resistant and washable. mm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Logan, I hope you noticed what brand that blue tractor was.

Cougar72, do you mean how much for the whole thing? I guess around 10-11k. Its a post frame building(30x50) that I had the shell put up but I (and some buddies) did all the rest to it. That was in 94. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
8 man points for Mark. kick ass garage. makes my garage and its " Door of death" ( errr one of the springs for the door broke off today, that sucked ALOT ) look downright sucky. you sir own a MANs garage

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Cool garage MM. I had thought about painting the floor with a white non-skid type of paint(they use it in the hangars out here) and it makes finding that dropped bolt/screw a breeze to find. But I hadn't thought about the walls..... GOOD TIP. I think it's gonna be a wood and stucco exterior (to match the house, that's the wife's requirement) but the inside is all mine. MM, What is the square footage? I too have to share with various lawn equipment and such....

Don

·
Registered
3,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also thought about a coating on the floor. There are all kinds of paints, epoxys etc. In the end I just decided on a pretty slick plain concrete. My buddy is a cement finisher and tried to talk me out of the slick finish, but I wanted something that would sweep up good and wouldnt soak up oil and such as easy. You do need to be carefull when its wet though. I decided against any coatings on it because of welding and cutting alot in the garage and none of the coatings will hold up like that.

My building is 30x50, 1500 square feet. Its never big enough, build as big as you can. I have my place up for sale right now and will have to start over again, maybe 30x60 next time.mm

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
You might also consider more head room. Taller walls are a cheep way to add cubic space.You then could add loft space that would not be in the way. Neal.

P.S.you need 40X80 at least. that way I can come over and use some of the extra space:1poke:

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
BIG SHOPS

A mustang guy I know localy has a shop that size with a 40x40 loft. It's stufed full of cars and parts. Last time I was to his place he also had about 10 mustangs out side. Neal.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yeah ...a loft would be cool.... The ole' lady hinted that a small apartment upstairs would be a good thing for guests and/or boomerang kids. but I think she really has me in mind. I'm thinkin' 30X60 would be a good size for my needs.

Don

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine has a 9' ceiling in it. I don't like higher ceilings, its harder to heat in these IN winters, but my next one will have one bay with a raised ceiling for a hoist. I think 12' in the middle of it will be enough. I'm getting too old for the laying on the back stuff and I think I can get a 7000lb lift for around $2000. It might be a good investment. mm

·
Registered
669 Posts
Doooohhhhhhh. Wish I had space!!!! Only have the two car garage right now. The house, garage, monster swing set for the kids and the pool take up most of the lot. I looked around for a warehouse but that is pretty much out of the question here in South Florida. 1000 sf would run almost $100K!! The reason is because you cannot have a basement here due to the water table. So, about 5 million people all have the same junk and have no room for it. Storage facilities are making a killing! Plan B. I'm looking for a lot and finding out if I can build a garage on it without a house. Will be an all steel (120 mph hurricane rated), and the biggest I will be allowed or can afford!;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Garage Envy

I don't mean to keep beating this drum, but a soils investigation is CHEAP and smart up front money when we're talking about all of these loft and hoist loadings. Lots of dead load here, not to mention some other concerns for our windy friends in Florida. I presently have a 1 car attached garage, my wife's Tahoe USED to be in there, until I brought the Cougar home! She hasn't mutinied, YET, but I think it's only a question of when, not if. I too have the monster swing set, garden, kids toys, LOTS of kids toys, all over the yard, garage, neighbors' yards, etc... I have garage envy when I see all these pics, so to me a 24 x 24 would be paradise.

Ron.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hell, ive posted a pic of my garage before. i live in a condo complex and i rent the garage from a neighbor who is an older lady that doesnt use it. its a 2 car garage, but she has her sons Jeep in there which hasnt moved in 3 years :mad: . top off all of my paint and occasional project car parts laying all over the place, there isnt as much room as there should be. BTW i did a temporary fix on the Door of Death. :D doesnt magically fall down at full force anymore...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ron, you do have problems!!! Wife drives a GM? If mine did, I wouldnt let her park it on the property. She would have to park it at the neighbors down the street!!! HA, HA, listen to me talk big mine actually drives a Dodge, but I still give her crap about it!!!

Actually I kept her in Fords forever by telling her she could get what she wanted, but if it wasnt a Ford then she would have to take it to the shop to get it worked on and I wouldnt even change the oil in it!! Worked for a long time. mm

·
Registered
266 Posts
If I told my wife she couldn't park her car in my garage, she would probably say that I couldn't park my you know what in her garage. (if you know what I mean).

·
Registered
216 Posts
The company I work for provides me with a powerstroke diesel F250, but they have a couple Excursions that I've driven too. They drive like my pickup, and are just too big for my wife's comfort level of driving. It's important to keep the Chief happy, since she has veto power on the expenditures for the Cougar. I took her for a blast a few weeks ago in the Cougar, did a couple launches and shifted at about 6000, open headers with no interior in the car. She was shaking when she got out, partly due to fear, but I think she kind of liked the adrenaline rush too. She's coming around, we'll convert her to a motorhead sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts