Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an OE Blue Oil Pan from Mustangs Unlimited. They seem to be the same everywhere I look. These new pans are about an Inch- Inch 1/2 "deaper" in the back than the original one I just took off. This is causing trouble getting it past the rear main on the crank. The pan won't clear the bolts like the original did. I have removed the cross member and the front ( I think it is a torsion, anti twist bar) bar that goes to each A-arm for clearance. Still can't get it past those bolt heads on back of the crank, close but still hanging up on them.
I have looked on board, figured this must be a common problem, but no posts. Car has power steering, if makes any difference.
Appreciate any help. Figured this was going to be an in and out job...wrong...
This is a 1968 Cougar with a 302.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I got a new pan on ebay, had a similar problem in that one of the holes on the drivers side on the back of the pan wouldn't line up. I had to work it over with a drill to finish bolting it in..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't seem to get this one back far enough to check the hole alignment. The pan get hung up before it get all the way back. Steering assembly on the bottom and the rear main crank bolts up top...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Have you considered unbolting the engine mounts from the frame and lifting the engine? This may help get you the additional needed clearance?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Charlie,
Are you sure it is the rear main cap? Sometimes it is the crankshaft. you may need to rotate the crank to get one of the counterweights out of the way. Removing the mounts should help too.

Steve

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, had to turn the engine to clear those counter weights, the ones at the back where the fit is tight were low, got good at turning the engine last month when I replaced the heads and had to do the valve adjustments. I was thinking about removing one mount and jacking up one side of engine to see if that would work but really didn't want to do that... The starter is really close during the install so today, I thought, maybe if I take it down I will get the wiggle room I need. Figured worth a shot before unmounting the engine. Guess I got lucky, with the starter outof the way, I was able to get it past those last bolts that I think hold the crank in place. I did have to remove the crossmember and the anti-sway bar to get additional room but after removing the starter along with others, there was enough room. Weird that the "OE" would be a full inch and a half deeper in the back than the original, was not counting on that happening. The "original pan" came out with just removal of the crossmember. I figured the "OE" would be the same, lesson learned.
Thanks all for hints and tips!! Can always count on you guys to help in a pinch!! Hope there are no leaks, going to let
it set up (RVT) before I add oil. Should know in the morning if all is good...
Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts