Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get a distinctive clunk/clank out of the front end when either in a right hand turn with the break pedal depressed or parking downhill and ground the wheel to the right with the brake pedal depressed.

i do not get the sound without the brake pedal down. i do not get the sound in left hand turns.

upper control arm shaft bearings were worn so i changed the arms and the spring perches. still had the noise.

tried to tighten up the sway bar links but the threads were stripped so i changed those out. still have the noise.

will finish up with the front end and change the inner tie rods and idler arm. i doubt that will fix the clank.

changed out both spindles last summer. not the expert here, but the disc, caliper, etc appear normal. if i could find a volunteer to lay under the car while i roll it against a curb, i think we could find the culprit. but that's a little to crazy, even for me.

gotta' be something simple like the rotor splash shield or something contacting some other thing, but only with the brake pedal down. appreciate any ideas before i go broke tracking this annoying clank

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I think I've got the same issue on my 68. Does the clunk happen while the brakes are pressed or just as you are releasing the brakes coming out of a right turn?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Kinda hard to long-distance diagnose something like this, but the first thing that pops to my mind is a bad strut-rod bushing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda hard to long-distance diagnose something like this, but the first thing that pops to my mind is a bad strut-rod bushing.
lotsa names for the same thing. are you talking about the sway bar link bushings? the link is about eight inches long, threaded on one end, and sits pretty much vertically? why would that only be affected with the brakes engaged?

for jshcobra - it makes the clunk with the pedal depressed. no more noise releasing the pedal after i got the anti-rattle clips on correctly.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lotsa names for the same thing. are you talking about the sway bar link bushings? the link is about eight inches long, threaded on one end, and sits pretty much vertically? why would that only be affected with the brakes engaged?

for jshcobra - it makes the clunk with the pedal depressed. no more noise releasing the pedal after i got the anti-rattle clips on correctly.
just saw a strut rod on WCCC. i will check it out. i know all the geometry and pressure points change when the brakes are depressed, so i guess it could be anything

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
strut rod bushings are almost new

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
strut rod bushings are almost new
Probably not that, then. Although, is there any chance the clunk started around the time the "almost new" strut bushings were installed? Just a shot in the dark, really, but some strut bushing designs (Moog is one I'm familiar with) incorporate a number of individual metal sleeves and washers. They work well, but if everything isn't installed just so, and properly torqued, unwanted movement and metal-on-metal contact can result.

BTW, are there any other symptoms? Like pulling left or right, shuddering through the steering wheel, or feedback through the brake pedal? Or do you simply get the sound and nothing else?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably not that, then. Although, is there any chance the clunk started around the time the "almost new" strut bushings were installed? Just a shot in the dark, really, but some strut bushing designs (Moog is one I'm familiar with) incorporate a number of individual metal sleeves and washers. They work well, but if everything isn't installed just so, and properly torqued, unwanted movement and metal-on-metal contact can result.

BTW, are there any other symptoms? Like pulling left or right, shuddering through the steering wheel, or feedback through the brake pedal? Or do you simply get the sound and nothing else?
that's it, just the sound. yes, there are multiple metal sleeves, washers and bushings at the end of the strut rod. but if there was a problem in there, why would it only do it while braking in the turn?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
When you brake, the force has to be transmitted from the wheel, through the suspension, to the body. The strut rod is one of those transfer points. If its not firmly connected to the chassis, it'll begin to stop a fraction of a second sooner than the body crossmember its attached to, and if there's any metal to metal contact when that happens it'll make a noise. Stress/force interactions between body and suspension alter pretty dramatically depending on whether the vehicle is turning or travelling in a straight line, so it might only show up in certain situations.
Not saying that's your problem, just how it could be, theoretically at least. But unless the amount of play is very small, I'd expect you to be getting some tactile feedback, not just a sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts