Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever see a fan like this, so off center. a few nicks on the blades but nothing can explain the layout of the blades and it's heavy. old fan.jpg

replacing it with a flex fan pics enclosed and larger spacer, need at least a 2.50 spacer giving one inche between fan blades and engine. sound right? flex fan.jpg

thanks for the opinions

jene

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I think the original fan on my 70 H code Cleveland looked like that but I'm not positive. I had to replace it early in my ownership. The windshield washer reservoir fell off (from an accident) and into the fan and broke a blade or two. I too thought it was odd looking. I replaced it with a fan from a local parts store.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a fan like that in my "what to do with pile" it has a D0O? number on it. I got it out of a 70 351 M code Mach 1

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
these fans have got to be the most amazing story i've ever heard coming from ford. are there any old timers out there that know something about this????? doesn't this create an uneven air flow and in-balance on the water pump?

i am not the smartest one out here just work real hard,
jene

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not sure about the air flow end of it...but when I replaced my radiator this year...I took the shroud off and pushed it back towards the engine, and without removing anything else I was able to wiggle the radiator out by using that void (rotating the fan blade a little) and got the clearance that I needed thru the offset of the blades. Perhaps that is why it is the way it is...for service work???

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I always assumed (correct or incorrectly) that the odd spacing was to prevent a harmonic resonance from occuring, just a hunch. All Ford fans that I have seen have this irregular spacing to some extent (except the simple "X" four blade jobbies).

Jene I think that your fan is the correct one judging by WCCC's listing:

Although the WCCC one has four rivets where yours looks to have three and the blade shape seems a little different, the basic design looks the same, making me think it is correct.

Also agree with the doc about the flex fan you plan on using, I would stand anywhere near a car with one of those on it.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Here's my unedumacated theory: The fan needs only to be balanced along a single line through the center (e.g., a two blade propeller). As odd as it looks, that's essentially what's happening with these fans. Imagine a line drawn between the two close-together blades running through the center hole and along the edge of the blade immediately opposite the two close-together blades. The remaining two blades are almost opposite each other and would otherwise cancel each other out for balance purposes, but the slight amount they are offset compensates for the placement of the two close-together blades. So I can see why there would not be a balance problem, but I can't see what purpose the offset blades would serve.

Jene: I've had the exact same flex fan pictured in your post on my 68 for years with no issues (except if you want to turn the motor by and you'll get nasty cuts).

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
IIRC, the D0O-flex fan was subject to a factory recall, to be replaced with a D2SE-AA flex fan. The early ones were supposed to be prone to developing a crack in the blade.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
don

well this one only has three rivets holding each blade. i've been told these were recalled by ford as having problems ejecting particles of metal through the hood. this fan has sharp uneven edges where the blade had been hitting the lower crankshaft pulley with no clearance other than a hairs width so when flattening out hits anything near.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Wonder if you can still get it replaced under recall (sort of kidding).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
IIRC, the D0O-flex fan was subject to a factory recall, to be replaced with a D2SE-AA flex fan. The early ones were supposed to be prone to developing a crack in the blade.
Don't know if it was a unit covered by recall or damaged some other way, but I can vouch as to blade separation: (pictures are pictures of pictures so date is inaccurate--happened 13-15 or so years ago)

Attachments

·
5,470 Posts

That's exactly why you should NEVER stand inline with any fan!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

That's exactly why you should NEVER stand inline with any fan!
Milo-
Although I couldn't agree with you more, and I had been standing completely in line with the fan moments before this happened, I had moved slightly away from a direct line.The fan actually ricocheted off the hood (which was probably my saving grace) before hitting me. After this incident I can honestly say that I have never stood inline ever again. Also just hit me that my daughter that was in that picture is now 18 so I guess it was about 17 or so years ago now.....
Thanks
Chuck

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Wow... Seeing those pictures really drives home the point, stay clear of said fans and inspect them often! At the first sign of damage turn them into a wall hang and put on the d2 fan or something close.

·
5,470 Posts
^^^ What he said X2! ^^^

(ten characters)

<edit>*edit*
BTW, glad you're still with us and with all of your parts! That hit pretty damned close to your eye!

Speaking of close calls... I still have scar on my right eyelid from trying to pull a brake spring into place with a pair of Vice-Grips - and that was 34 years ago! They slipped and I hit myself square in the face with the pliers, shattering the lens of my eyeglasses, with a deep cut above the eye socket, a deep cut below, and cutting almost through the eyelid and into my eyeball itself... Never again. Proper tool for the job from now on! Much easier to do it the right way, too!</edit>

·
5,470 Posts
Don, that's what the 'Caution - Fan' sticker is for! :uhoh:

·
5,470 Posts
Also, one of my Parts Cats has a D8SE flex fan. Maybe a later replacement for the D2SE fan???

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
^^^ What he said X2! ^^^

(ten characters)

<edit>*edit*
BTW, glad you're still with us and with all of your parts! That hit pretty damned close to your eye!
Speaking of close calls... I still have scar on my right eyelid from trying to pull a brake spring into place with a pair of Vice-Grips - and that was 34 years ago! They slipped and I hit myself square in the face with the pliers, shattering the lens of my eyeglasses, with a deep cut above the eye socket, a deep cut below, and cutting almost through the eyelid and into my eyeball itself... Never again. Proper tool for the job from now on! Much easier to do it the right way, too!</edit>
Thanks. So as not to hijack this thread any further, the 'story' can be found here: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?49253-Caution-Fan-Blade-Sticker.... I was indeed one very blessed man..... Let my stupidity be a lesson for some one else....:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts