Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History: After I got the Cat back on the road, I dove into the turn signals ... turned out that the only problem was that the sequential "motor" was frozen ... luckily, I had a spare. After swapping in the spare, the turn signals worked like new, flashing at just the right speed, every time ... in addition, just before I made that change, I had also replaced the column switch + harness.

So ... after about a year of driving, probably well under 1000 miles, the signals started to slow down, or not work = hit switch for left, signal takes a while to start, then flashes slowly, same thing on the left ... so I thought the motor might be going again, and I broke down and did what I was already planning to do, and got a new solid state unit. ... it worked the same = slow and intermittent ... and then I tried the emergency flashers, they worked for a bit, similar to the turn signals, slow ... then everything quit working ....

Whenever I hit either the turn signals or the emergency flasher, I could clearly here a "relay clicking" loud and slow in the dash, somewhere in front of the instrument cluster.

So ... is this an easy one to solve ?

Is it that I just need to replace a common turn signal relay (thee little two prong can ?)

I have glanced at the troubleshooting guide .... and before I dive into that, I'd like to "check the comunity knowledge base" to see if it is a quick fix (since the switch and sequential unit are both new) ....

Thanks All !

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
try running a hot wire from the battery to the seq box hot lead in the trunk--if the motor speeds up , the wiring from the dash to the seq box is going away or has bad crimped connections---if it remains the same , i would get a new solid state box from cougars unlimited---just my$ .02 worth
doctordesoto

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Doc D' ! Every time I drive my cougar I think of you ... my dash looks great ! ( gotta send you a pic some time )

... already replaced everything in the back with solid state ....

.... is there a relay (small can looking thin) behind the dash ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TTT ... anyone got any answers ? ideas ?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
On the 68 there is no flasher can. At least not any little round can like my 79 or 97. There is a relay up on the firewall, one on the driver side rear of the trunk and then the jumble that hooks to the cardboard cover in the left wheel well. I think that is about it as far as relays and such. Did you check all your bulbs? A burnt out one could be the issue.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the 68 std that i had did have a flasher can under the dash---the old duck i bought it from kept great records and i'll bet he replaced the can 15 times !! i,d try one of vic yarberys (cougarsunlimited ) solid state flashers if you suspect the cans not working
doctordesoto

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So ... according to Cougars Unlimited, "The 1967 system also has an emergency relay AND a turn indicator relay under the dash".
I have searched on the WCC site, and I can only find mention of an under dash relay for later 67 models which did not have the
relay in the trunk. My 67 is an early model which had the K11 Stop Lamp Relay in the trunk.

So I will try again, is there a relay for the turn signals and/or emergency flashers under the dash of an early 67 cougar ?
- if so, where is it ? and where can I purchase a replacement ?

.... when they started slowing down, before they quit working, I could definitely hear a clicking coming from the dash area ... particularly upon the initial engaging of the turn signal switch ...

And again, Turn signal switch is new, and trunk hardware is a new solid state unit ... specific to early 67 model.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
our 67 has a relay system under the dash to run the turn signal indicators---it had a flasher can that was activated by the current draw of the indicator bulbs---we really screwed this up when we went to led bulbs---one can pick up the front turnsignal wires under the cowl and tie in there , but you have no clicking noise when used--vic @cougars unlimited came up with a plug in box with relay that makes the indicator bulbs an d clicking all work
doctordesoto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts