Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yup, the 69 has one of these. i was told i can get rid of it though. its the little tee thing thats in teh thermostat housing right?? thats what i was told by a teacher at school. what are the pros and cons of removing this device? here... this is the only literature i found about it... i guess it messes with my ignition timing. i remember seeign asticker on my air cleaner that metnioned i had it.

SUMMARY

At its July 10, 1974 meeting, the Board adopted a motion
authorizing the Executive Officer to extend the Kar Kit device
accreditation to class "a" vehicles if he determined that all
applicable requirements were met. Subsequently, AQP submitted
test data and other required information to support its
application, and the Staff conducted confirmatory tests on two
vehicles. Based on these data, the Executive Officer signed
Executive Order G-53 (attached) accrediting the Kar Kit device
for class "a" vehicles. A supplementary staff report detailing
this accreditation is also attached. The device is applicable
only to vehicles having water cooled engines equipped with both
centrifugal and vacuum advance mechanisms and not exempted from
the retrofit program for other reasons.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
yeah you can get rid of the thermo switch, wait, your California. so maybe not. The parts store here wanted 50. Can. for one, and its not needed so I just put a pipe plug in instead. :)

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe not? cars here in California that are 1973 and older are smog exempt... so no, i dotn need it anymore. maybe ill just put the pipe plug in there. at the very least it will clean up the engine bay a little bit.

·
11,000 Posts
That part is a hot idle speed compensator. It changes your distributor vacuum from carburetor ported vacuum source to straight manifold vacuum if the water temperature goes above 210 degrees. That makes the engine idle a couple hundred RPM higher and the fan will cool the engine down until the valve goes the other way. When the valve closes again the idle speed drops back to normal.

It's a good thing to have on your car. Has nothing to do with emissions.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You go Royce, Your The MAN!!!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhhh killer. guess ill leave it there then lol. whats the Kar Kit thing though?? my stock air cleaner said that it did have i though. maybe it was taken off before, but im just not sure what it is.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
My 70 Mach 1 had that but it was disconnected, so I don't know if it hurt performance...

Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts