Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 68 out today, one of the few remaining really nice days here before it has to get put up for the winter.
Took it for a drive round trip of about 40 miles. Several gear changes, some freeway time at speed, and in town. On the return leg, the car now doesn't want to idle under 1k RPM's, and will stall out if it goes under a grand. Fuel filter is full of good, clean gas, and as far as I can see there are no new wiring issues.....
I'm hoping it is just the fact that it has been sitting, and is self cleaning some older gas from the tank, even though it has been run for short times, over the whole summer.
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds like a choke stuck on?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Something gunking up your idle circuits...or your floats. If it's a holley pull the sight plugs and see if you gotta gusher....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are Edelbrock 500 CFM carbs, They are sans choke...I will look at the vacuum lines, and see if something might have blown loose...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out today and spent a few minutes on the car.....I bumped the idle back up to around 950, and ran the carbs independently for a bit. I didn't find any vacuum lines that had worked lose or bad connections. I think it was just gunky gas and not having any freeway time this summer...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Probably something hung up in one of them....no chokes probably doesn't help this time of year though. Try running some seafoam for awhile what the heck. Worth a shot. I know pulling them appart for a cleaning doesn't sound thrilling!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran a can of gumout through them tonight. The engine was warm when I got home the other day, so I don't think the choke, (or lack there of) was the issue. I Think it was just from not being run much this summer. Bummer too, as the driving season is pretty much over....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That sounds like a perfect time to pull the blanket over her and and yank the carbs - turn on the game, and watch it as you rebuild it on the kitchen table. We all know how much the wife loves that! LOL I gotta do mine too....it was running like crap the other day and I noticed gas coming out of both front corner idle screws >? I ordered a kit from Summit along with a buch of other carb mod parts so I can work on it. I have been wanting to get the upgrades into it anyway. With the weather changing I won't be in a rush to get it done.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Sounds like a party foul if you ask me. Not getting enough miles on the car so the gas goes bad. Major party foul. Gotta calls em as I sees em Wood. Drive that car man!!!!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, on the up side, the car is going over to my friends house for some more upgrades. Edelbrock aluminum heads, lowering springs, disc brakes and front sway bar. I may get a kit for them, or I might swap on my Torker intake, with one of my extra "lemans bowl" carbs I have. I would like to try the car with a 650 DP that has the bowls, and see how she runs with that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts