Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a substantial part of phase 2 for my 68 XR7 this afternoon.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Looks like someone is going to make a 68 Cougar convertible!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John wins. This is something that I've been planning for several years now-- you can blame it all on catvert, but the truth is I've wanted to do this long before I ever saw that gorgeous car. This will be my second convertible conversion project. A few years ago I built a 76 Mustang II Ghia convertible, but sold it shortly after I got the Cougar. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Good luck with the project! Someday, I'd like to do another one. Please be sure to let me know if I can be of any assistance. Since you've been down this road before, you probably won't need much!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bill, though I expect you'll be sick of hearing from me before I'm done. ;)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some cleaning up to do. But it's all here. Rather than swapping in Mustang windows to fit the top frame, I may try to modify the frame to fit the stock Cougar side and quarter glass. The top is going to be custom anyway so if I change the shape slightly, it shouldn't matter. I'll know better once I get to the point where I can bolt in the frame and try it out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Don't forget adding the inner rockers to the coupe body.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since this is my driver, I'm foregoing the "factory-style" approach and going restomod. I'll be using fabbed full length welded in subframe connectors which have lateral tubes running to each of the rocker panels. A cross brace then connects the two sides together to deal with twisting. Essentially, this setup connects the front and rear torque boxes together, making the unibody into a full frame car. I used a similar setup on my Mustang II conversion. One of my clients (who has superior welding skills) will do the bulk of this part of the project.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
WOW, this is the type of project I just love to do. I bet you will have a BLAST fabricating, etc. Yes, it has been done before, BUT you will add your inspirations, and skills.

I WISH YOU THE BEST.

I can't wait to see the pictures, DID SOMEONE SAY, "PICTURES"?

Dale in Indy

"Those Who Bring Sunshine To The Lives Of Others, Cannot Keep It From Themselves"

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spent the better part of this morning chopping up the poor donor mustang to harvest its convertible bits. The unfortunate horse had already been stripped of its rear frame rails and trunk floor, as well as everything else that was not welded down. The one bonus I discovered was the original convertible top switch-- miraculously, it was the only thing still attached to the dash. I cut generously around the drip rail and rear seat section so now I can go back and start drilling out spot welds to disassemble everything in preparation for transplant into my Cougar.

I hope to have the frame mods completed this week. If all goes well, the roof will be off next weekend!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jody,

I am now officially passing the ECI torch to you!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Bob. Except I'm more of a midwest moron, than an ECI. Hereabouts, the gravest sin a gearhead can commit is daily driving. When I mention that I'm about to cut up mine up, folks get real quiet and shake their head.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Being true to your vision is like that Jody, stay the course. :ylsup:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The roofline on my car will be slightly different than most conversions such as catvert, where the tops of the quarter panels are flattened out. I'll be retaining the slope into the roof (like the first pic) as well as adding an extra bit of length into the top itself to keep the stock quarter window shape (second pic). I realize that Bill is probably right and Mercury would not have done it this way, but my goal is to make the new roof match as closely as possible to the stock shape. (photos are from Catvert site)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Why not take on a NICE Western car with severe vinyl top rot? They can be had for a song and often it is the only rust in the entire car. Then you have saved a car from being parted out at the same time as making a way cool vert.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not take on a NICE Western car with severe vinyl top rot? They can be had for a song and often it is the only rust in the entire car. Then you have saved a car from being parted out at the same time as making a way cool vert.
My 68 already has significant rust under the vinyl top. Over the years since I got the car from you, the rust went from a few bubbles under the vinyl to needing most of the roof cut out and replaced.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the passenger side frame rail nearing completion. The rails are made from 2 inch thick walled square tubing. One end of the frame fits into and gets welded to the front subframe and the other end gets welded to the rear subframe at the rear torque box. The frames fit nice and snug up against the floorboard and will actually be welded at spots along the floor, then seam sealed and painted to give a factory look. The two frame rails get tied together about midway down with a bolt on cross brace similar to the stock convertible plate. They also will have arms projecting outward to a reinforcement along the bottom of each rocker panel. Thanks to http://dazed.home.bresnan.net/sub-frame.html for the basic idea for these frame rails.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Nice Jody! One other comment: MORE PICTURES!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Morep pics after this weekend. Hopefully the top will be off by then.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts