Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car = 1970 Standard coupe, 351C 4V 4 speed.

The original problem was, or so I thought, just an old worn out wiper motor. It would wipe fine for about 15 seconds then they'll stop. I can turn the switch to high or off and SOMETIMES they'll finish the cycle but most of the time they'll just move an inch or so.

Today I replaced the wiper motor. Brand new OEM unit. Wired by my brother the electrician, nice connections, grounded properly and they STILL do the same damn thing.

I lubed up the pivot point on the motor and where the arms attach, I also double checked the movement of the arm mechanism and they all moved just fine, no binding or anything loose or tight.

It's not an immediate need but I will need this fixed up by the 20th.

Please, anyone with any ideas let me know.

Thanks, Paul

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Have you checked the switch? (check it for continuity and resistance)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the device to check for continuity/resistance BUT, I did take the switch apart and cleaned it real good. Put it back together and still the same.

Now, I have a Painless Wiper Switch I picked up from Summit today. There are 5 connector tabs on the back of it. However, there are 7 on the OEM switch.
So now, what wires go where OR, a plea for a freebie working wiper switch. Take your pick. Write out what wires would convert over OR if someone has a working switch
they could send me free of charge (I need free to keep the boss off my back PLUS we have one in college now.

I don't know if this would help or not BUT, it's this switch that is keeping the cat from hitting roads full time. I either have wipers or I don't have a car.

Thanks for any help!
Paul

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, no plea for a freebie. WCCC has the switches for $25. Now I have another question: IF the switch isn't the problem, what else could it possibly be? If I can get answers to that question it would be just as good if not better than a freebie switch.

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Wiper switch pin-outs and continuity:
69-70_Switch_continuity.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts