Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about 3 or 4 years ago I had a business with a partner and we had a nice 5000square foot warehouse that we had our cars (my 67 Restomod and his Camaro) in to work on and store. At the same time I had a 69 XR7 that I had bought and was getting ready for the restoration. An old back injury was reaking havoc on me at this time and was told by the doctor that I had to get out of the trades or I won't be walking in another 10 years! I decided to sell out of my half of the business also meaning I'd lose the shop space.

I had the 69 for sale as I wouldn't of had room for the 2 cars at home abd it didn't mean anything to me yet as I hadn't put the blood, sweat, and tears into it yet. A guy came along to look at it as his son was pushing him to buy a Cougar or a Mustang. We got to talking and I showed him pics of the 67 at my shop and he said he fell in love and could he see it and would I sell it.

I really hummed and hawed at the idea but figured if he was the right person (like giving away a pet or a child) and the money was right I might let it go.

He came to look at it and offered my $17,500 at the time and I figured that was not as much as I put into it but a great offer and I really could of used that money at the time and the circumstances. He swore he'd love it and show the car every show, etc, etc, and I believed him.

I have not seen it at one show and found out later that he bought it for his 20 year old who I guess lost interest numerous times as he had it listed for sale before.

I spoke to him back then and he made excuses but decided to keep it and again said he'd show it, etc, etc.

Now again after another 2 years it is for sale again!!!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/2331245230.html

Man my stomach turns to know I sold it to him after all the things he said. I know peoples circumstances change but not one thing he said he'd do, did he do. He was supposed to keep in touch to let me know if I could help with stuff on it or see it but not one call. His son even had it on a car site bragging that he built the car and listing off everything I had done and even used my Photobucket pics in it! I posted on his blog, "hey that the car that Lee Fisher built." and the car and his blog was soon deleted!

I wish I had the money to get it back but now have a new 67 project that I have been pondering on the idea of making it almost identical, paint, dash, and all except for the wheels.

Do you think this is wrong to recreate what I had already created once. Would it make me look like a copy cat if the car was at a show and my new one showed up. Maybe I could get vanity plates that say "2nd One" or "resto2" or something like that.

AAHHH!!!:realmad:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sadly once the cars leave our hands we no longer have any control of what happens to the car.

I was 15 when my dad sold our 66 Nova SS (with a 283) to a guy who i listened to say he always wanted one, and was gonna finish the restoration we had started, blahblablah..... A few months later we are at the big Portland Auto expo, and here's our Nova! basically just all pieced together with the parts we sold with it, paint lightly sanded, all the vins/numbers filed off, and advertised as the (much rarer) 327 engine SS for at least 3x what we sold it for. Good thing that owner was absent, because we had conjured up some choice words to share with him by that point.

Also my uncle sold a flawlessly (I'm talking showstopper here) built Pro-Street Camaro to someone who said they would still let him come check up on the car occasionally, and would be sure to stay in contact with him, so my uncle would know his baby was not being abused.... and then basically disappeared after buying the car.

And i would say totally go forward with building your new cat however you want! Even if it's very similar to your last one =].

·
Registered
292 Posts
Got to let this go, even though many of us feel your pain. But, once it's out of your hands, it's no longer yours to make decisions about. I know you know this, but emotions and logic rarely meet at a place to satisfy us.

This should make you feel better. I have a similar story with the first car I ever bought with my own money. I picked up a light blue 1978 Mustang II back in my college days. This car was nothing to brag about, but it was mine, and I loved it. A nice 4 speed with a mint interior and a new paint job, it was a great driver. I learned a lot about cars and how to maintain them with that mustang. But I had to sell it because I needed the money. I sad part about it was I couldn't get anyone interested in it (the Mustang II never being a popular version of the mustang, only out 2 years).

I sold it for a huge loss (I got about 50% of what I paid for it.) to a son of a friend of my mothers. He lived in the neighborhood, and sure enough, I was privileged to watch the car go down the crapper in about 2 years. I don't know what mustang II's go for today, and I know it's not a 68 fastback, but it was a nice representation of that car, and I'd love to have it today. I always thought Cougars were rare at car shows, but compared to the Mustang II, the Cougar is like a 60's mustang.

20+ years later and I still hate that kid. When I think of it, I still :puke:

As for making your new car the same, I say why not? It's your car... if you loved it the way you made it once, you don't owe it to anyone to not copy your last design. Hell, if I were you and saw it at a car show, I'd make it a point to park it right next to your first one. :flipa:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
(the Mustang II never being a popular version of the mustang, only out 2 years)
Mustang IIs were out for five model years - 74-78. My younger sister had a '74 Giha with the 2.8L V-6, and then a '78 fastback with four-banger/ automatic. For Mustang II trivia, the '74 was much different than the 75-78s. The header panel was wider with a short hood in 74, and the hood was lengthened and core support moved forward in 75 so the 302 would fit. Gas cap location was different, too. '74 was below the side body line and 75-up was above.

That 78 I-4/C-3 was the slowest car I ever took down the dragstrip - over 21 seconds! That was with a freshly rebuilt motor and trans, too!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

Jody, jshcobra has a M II he made into a convertible, not sure what he plans to do to it.

restomodcougar,

Sad story but as others have said once the sale is made what happens to your baby is out of your hands, regardless of verbal promises that might have been made. Still, sorry you have had to watch/put up with all of that.

Easy for me to say, but I would scrape the money and buy it back, with a $20K asking price, you might get it for what you sold it for or less. The upside being all the work (that you did!) is already done. Again, easy for me to say.

Good Luck with whatever you end up doing and the car you sold looks very nice and well done.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Very interesting topic here. It's unfortunate that you can't negotiate with the current owner to buy it back, as it is obvious that it has sentimental value to you still.

I sold the 1st Cougar I even owned way back in 1992, after investing 9 years of my life restoring it, and then driving the heck out of it, and enjoying it. I have no idea where the car is today (or even if it still exists), but it seems likely that it probably isn't in the same good condition as when I owned it. If I ever ran across it, I would buy it back, just for sentimental sake, and probably give it to my kid for his 1st car when he turns 16.

Sometime cars do come back. I bought a 1969 390 Eliminator in 1992. Drove it for a few years, and then sold it when we moved into a new home (needed the $$). The guy I sold it to, stored it indoors for 10 years, and then called me to see if I wanted to buy it back. I did. Turns out, he never even transfered the title out of my name. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Harry, from B.C. has one of the best stories about him getting his own cat back.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Sounds like what I went through with my first cougar, almost to the "T". I got the car back after many years and by then it was too late, the bottom of the car had gone to cheese and they run the snot out of the thing. I was able to part the car out to get the one I have now. I personally would sell what you have to get this one back. you know what you have in it and your time is worth more now.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the support and I know that you are right that once it's sold it is out of my hands. What every happened to the honest car guy though with integrity, the true lover like us all??

That 67 Cougar was one of the first restomods on here back in 2003 when I started to build it and I at least feel proud that I still get PM's all the time from people that still ask about the car, and how I did this, or, what part did I use, and all the messages about how nice the color and wheel combo was.

I think it is time to move on and from what I learnt building that one I now know I can do it for allot less now and right the first time instead of all the modifying of old parts, and do-overs because there is so much more available now and prices have dropped because of the availability of some of the parts.

I will build the new 67 project in memory of that one and this one will be even better. Maybe I'll do it a different color but when you see both you'll know who the creator was because he'll be the one at the car show standing next to his car with pride.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
A friend has a correct restored 57 Chevy Bel Air 2 door sports coupe. At one time he wanted to sell, had a buyer from Atlanta with cash. The buyer was buying the car for his 17 year old under the premise that he was going to store the car until the kid was 25-30 years old.
When the father and son came to pick it up the kid let it slip that his plans were to drop in a 427 (BBC) 4 speed and street race it. "SALE CANCELLED". Have a nice trip back to 'Lanner....

Don't sell a car with stipulations because 95% of the time IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
A friend of mine purchased a very nice and original '39 Chevy under the stipulation that it "WOULD NOT BE HOT-RODDED!" or NO DEAL. Didn't those come from the factory with a blown 350? My memory fades...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I'm sure I'll run into this same problem when I put the '66 Comet Caliente up for sale. 289-2V, automatic, and only 34k original miles with original paint right down to the body-color wheels w/ poverty caps. Why am I worried that someone will buy it to either cut it up or part it out? Its a four-door Caliente! Only around 1600 made, so I guess that makes it worth keeping all original, but I'm sure some two-door owner will buy it for the bumpers and front clip and trash the rest...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yep, sure do!! Bought the Eliminator in Aug. '69, sold my "beloved" cougar to a young kid in '74. He soon totaled it.
I regretted that sale for the next 35 years.
But, 40 years after I first bought it, I found it, and bought it again.
And, it's nearing completion of a full restoration ... started the engine yesterday for the first time in 20 months.

See my story here ... www.harrya.webs.com

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, sure do!! Bought the Eliminator in Aug. '69, sold my "beloved" cougar to a young kid in '74. He soon totaled it.
I regretted that sale for the next 35 years.
But, 40 years after I first bought it, I found it, and bought it again.
And, it's nearing completion of a full restoration ... started the engine yesterday for the first time in 20 months.

See my story here ... www.harrya.webs.com
Cool story and your just down the road from me!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
What every happened to the honest car guy though with integrity, the true lover like us all??
It's a myth.
There are people with integrity, but most really just don't have any when it comes to cars.

The car hobby is largely about people doing what they want with a vehicle and usually that includes whatever flavor of the month thing is happening at the moment.
People lie when they sell, and they lie when they buy. It happens.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Let's face it, these cars are our mistresses'...kind of like a mid-life crisis only it isn't another woman that has our affection...it does hurt to see them with someone else...like your first true love, you never get over them and they will always have that special memory in your mind, you often wonder are they okay, are they happy and is that new person that took my place treating them like I did? Once things in your life like cars are gone, it doesn't mean that they won't come back...money can buy a lot of things, they say that money can't buy happiness..... but it can give you more options to pick from. Go ahead and think it over for a while longer, if you decide to replace that Cougar, get a better one that will make the last one jealous.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Amen brother Jay, well said. God knows that some of these words are true in my case and my wife loves me in spite of it, I am blessed.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am blessed with a very understanding wife as well. As long as she gets the kitchen renovation finished she is happy.

So instead of renovating the kitchen I started some work on the new 67 project.

Sprayed the floor pans with a textured bed liner material as they were only primed after receiving the new pans and frame strengthening bars. I also cleaned out the inside of the doors and rear quarters, sprayed with an anti rust primer and then used a rubberized undercoating spray inside.

Once dried I started installing some Fat Mat sound deadening material that was left over from another car and it was just enough.

Here's what the car looked like when we pulled it out of the barn it was jailed in for the last bunch of years. I saved it the day the city came in and tore the barn down as they had taken over the land.

Next is the wiring which as least doesn't look too bad while I await some parts from Don at WCCC like brake lines and some rubber stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts