Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to remove the351C to take to an engine rebuilder. I know how to take everything off but have a question on the tranny. Do I drain the fluid before unbolting the bellhousing?
Anyone have advice for keeping it from rolling around in the back of my truck?

Thanks,

RayJ 70 XR7:1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Welcome to the group Ray. You don't need to drain the trans to remove the motor. The thing you need to do is remove the inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing and unbolt the convertor so it stays inside the transmission. Support the trans with a floor jack when removing the engine jacking up the trans and motor at the same time until it separates. If you have some old tires laying around set the pan down in one(without a wheel) when you put it in the back of the truck and put one on each side that holds air under each motor mount then just tie it off and you should be good to go.
Good Luck
John
wvcat

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have allways removed the engine and tranny together. you have to plug the hole where the driveshaft goes, drop the crossmember, disconnect the shift linkage, speedo cable and any wiring. on the eng: unbolt the exhast, engine mount bolts (one on each side that run parallel to the side of the engine)disconnect any wiring and radiator hoses (drain first)and fuel line to the fuel pump. Roll the car back as the engine is lifted out so the engine doesnt swing and break things. It will tilt up due to the wieght of the tranny which makes it easy. once out it is easy to seperate the eng / trans. now is a good time to clean the tranny and engine bay. the first thing I do is get the hood off and out of the way, i use masking tape on the back corners of the hood to help avoid scratches, normally a two person job but I have done it alone many times. it is not hard at all.

have fun

·
Registered
96 Posts
Engine removal

Along with what bowl says, I removed my fenders and radiator when I removed my engine. Didn't want nicks and dings on those things. I took my motor out without the transmission the first time I did this. It would help a lot if you have a leveler with the engine lift to tilt the motor as it comes out. You will have to remove the drive shaft even then, watch out for fluid coming out when you take the drive shaft out.
The second time I removed an engine, I took everything out. No bg deal either way, but you might as well plan on cleaning te tranny with the engine out.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Trans removal leak preventer

What, doesn't everyone have an extra tranny slip yoke laying around? :p: I have an extra for C-6s (AlphaCat and BetaCat are both C-6 cars). It doesn't have to be a good yoke, any old one will do just so it fits the spline and is tight to the rear trans seal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts