Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost everyone on this site has heard this at one time or another. I must admit that I said this myself for many years. I had this car for a long time without much progress being made.
Front Grill2.jpg

A lot of friends and family were of the opinion the car would never be finished. My wife even joked she would use the car for my coffin and I would eventually be buried in it. Well I kept after the restoration and did a little on it every chance I got. Today I can say I'm not one of those people that lets their car rot and never finishes the project. Here is what it looks like now.

Drivers Side View.jpg

I have additional photos in my members gallery. Look in the restoration folder.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Very nice car, you must be proud. Hooray for sticktoitiveness.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
GOOD JOB! I'm on the thirty year plan myself, so I know where you are coming from. One piece at a time!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's funny!! I have heard that many times...it's amazing how many people come ring your door when you have your "project" car sitting in the back yard with grass growing up around it and four flat tires. I am finally beginning my restoration this winter as time and MONEY allows!!! Great job on your car...it looks awesome!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Great looking 70, it takes alot of time and money, Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Drive it with pride... Must be kind of hard not to go lay some rubber in the driveway of some of those naysayers!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes Tom, I know I was a non believer, but you made a believer out of me. But I've seen it in boxes and pieces stored in your attic,a shell of a car in the garage, motor and trans shoved in the corner and what is today. What a beautiful job I might add. Congrads Tom.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Didn't you say that you were the original owner?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Looks really nice, great job.

Mine has been sitting for a long time.
This was the year I was definitely going to start on it, didn't happen.
One of these days I'll get my a$$ in gear and get something done on it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Congratulations that's a great looking car. Now the big question, you going to let the wife ride in it with you? :burnout:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations that's a great looking car. Now the big question, you going to let the wife ride in it with you? :burnout:
For as much as she has put up with all these years and the fact she had the engine rebuilt as a Christmas present one year, she has earned the right to drive it. I have a bit of the ECI attitude and realized during this restoration there isn't anything on that car that can't be fixed if you have the time and money.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
For as much as she has put up with all these years and the fact she had the engine rebuilt as a Christmas present one year, she has earned the right to drive it. I have a bit of the ECI attitude and realized during this restoration there isn't anything on that car that can't be fixed if you have the time and money.
Ah so even though she razzed you, in reality she has been supportive throughout the restoration. That is as cool as the car.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
ECI's rule! :ylsup:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Mitch, I am the original owner, but the car may have had 2 or 3 owners between 1975 and 1984. I bought it for the second time in 1984.
Yes I remember that now, You'll need to bring it to Iola!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Tomcat, beautiful job!!! I am living that vicious cycle right now. I have had my cougar for the past 2 yrs and not much has been done. The only things I have done thus far is drain my bank account on parts and supplies in preparation for this project. I vowed to start work on March 1st 2010 and yet the car still sits, complete. The amount of money I have invested over these two years??? I am not sure and figure best not known. I hope to finish my 73 F100 shortbed restoration project by November. It has been on and off for the past 4 yrs. Then the cougar... To be continued.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68_cougar_restomod/sets/72157624751899743/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts