Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It's super cool in 2012, but I don't think I would have liked it when it was new. Certain things become cool after 4 or 5 decades.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Production numbers would indicate it wasn't popular when new. However, I think the 1968 full size Mercury grille is the most beautiful they ever made. I especially like the grille and wood treatment on the Colony Park of that year. I know I am in the minority.

·
Registered
945 Posts
makes me think of Steve Mcgarrett in the original Hawaii 50, ironic as to the location :smoke:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wood look on that sled just doesn't do it for me....it'd be 90% cooler plain jane. A wagon on the other hand looks good in wood IMO

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
In Hawaii 5-0, and others like it at the time (Think: "A Quinn Martin Production" and "In Color") were famous for ubiquitous product placement. "The FBI," which was a competing show in the day, went so far as to have almost every car onscreen be a Ford, except the bad guys, who drove Chevys, and the Chevys always lost in the chase scenes.

Someday I am going to have a collection of full-size 1968 Mercurys. I think they are stunningly beautiful cars. Again, I know I am in the minority.

·
Registered
563 Posts
In Hawaii 5-0, and others like it at the time (Think: "A Quinn Martin Production" and "In Color") were famous for ubiquitous product placement. "The FBI," which was a competing show in the day, went so far as to have almost every car onscreen be a Ford, except the bad guys, who drove Chevys, and the Chevys always lost in the chase scenes.

Someday I am going to have a collection of full-size 1968 Mercurys. I think they are stunningly beautiful cars. Again, I know I am in the minority.
I have a few '67 Marquis for sale:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3129041596.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3129045314.html

The '67 2 door Marquis was the car used in the Hawaii Five-O pilot episode. After that they used a 4 door.

check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvBKpd7W0n0

·
Registered
936 Posts
I love it! Its understated and very different. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a future desirable collectible.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I don't think it will be desirable. The reason it was rare is because no one wanted their car to look like that. Of course, sellers, think it is rare because it is rare as in Shelby rare or GT-E rare rather than I don't like rare.. This one has been around and it will never sell close to what the owner wants unless he caves. Lucky to get to even 10K.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
nice saxony yellow ow wimbleton white 67 cougar drives past as he leaves the office (0:17)

I have all of these shows on DVD. If you want a show to essentially encapsulate all kinds of different cars in the background then this is the one. Ford only placed cars with the main characters. The police officers may show up in a Ford but they also showed up in a Chevy. Today the sponsor controls every single car that appears anywhere within a shot almost. When you watch the first couple of years you will note one car is in more shots, and many at one time, than any other car. We all forget how common this car was even in Hawaii. Care to take a guess which car it is?

Another good show was Streets of San Francisco. All kinds of cars and trucks in the background and, for me, there is also all the sights of San Francisco that I knew through the 70's that are no longer there be it streets, locations and stores.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Like Mike said, this car is nice, but way too overpriced. I also have the Hawaii Five-O DVDs and really enjoy watching them. Although McGarrett mostly drove the '68 Park Lane and a '74 Marquis Brougham, he also drove a '73 Marquis Brougham like mine:

73mmb34front2.jpg

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I love it! Its understated and very different. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a future desirable collectible.
If this car were to become a desireable collectible, I think it would have happened by now. This time "Rare Car" translates into "No one liked them when they were new, either." I get amused sometimes when sellers or owners go off on how rare their car is. This one is rare for a reason, and it isn't because it was expensive AND desireable. I happen to really like this car. I'll get my 68 Colony Park wagon first, but this one is on my list. Not for that price, tough.

I had a one-of-one for color 1970 XR7 convertible. Medium Chestnut Brown Metallic with a white interior and top. Not too bad, certainly not a great combination, but certainly the reason it was "Rare".

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Leon, you are right!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Looks like another group of professional bidders for this car.

3**b is everywhere bidding on cars. Just while looking at Mercury, Other he is everywhere. I actually find very few you have a 30 day bid total of just a few and with no retractions over the last 6 months. Many have 100 or more bids in 30 days with one guy having 947 in 30 days and 41 retractions in 6 months. Tells me that selling cars on eBay has become a big joke for many to play games.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
It's super cool in 2012, but I don't think I would have liked it when it was new. Certain things become cool after 4 or 5 decades.
I think it is pretty darn cool too! When I was younger I fantasized about buying some big ol' FULL sized boat of a car, cutting off the roof and just driving it around with my buddies all howling and being wild. Maybe take off the trunk lid and put a couch in the trunk so you can fit more people in it. Good times...

But back on topic; aside from the Buy Now price, I'm a little put off by the puddle of antifreeze on the ground that gets bigger and bigger as you go through the pictures! LOL!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Looks like another group of professional bidders for this car.

3**b is everywhere bidding on cars. Just while looking at Mercury, Other he is everywhere. I actually find very few you have a 30 day bid total of just a few and with no retractions over the last 6 months. Many have 100 or more bids in 30 days with one guy having 947 in 30 days and 41 retractions in 6 months. Tells me that selling cars on eBay has become a big joke for many to play games.
This one looks questionable too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261065131571

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
This cougar rx7 gt was a pain in the *%# to restore , everything is new or rebuild, all the the badging is new inside and out . Motor, transmission, and rear end all rebuild , just way to much to list. It drives great and goes just as good as it looks.
...short and to the point, LMAO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts