Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy wanting to trade me a cobra kit car (in pieces) for my 70 XR7 Car. i knew my car was one of 35 built with a 428cj and a 4speed tranny from my Marti Report. but my car came with AC so i had Kevin Marti do a search and tell me just how many of those (35) 428 4sp. Xr7 Hardtops came with AC. we'll i got my info yesterday and there were only three. So i think i'll keep my cougar.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
An obvious decision (IMO). I wouldn't even have to think about that unless there is something terribly wrong with the Cougar or very nice about the Cobra such as maybe a 427 SOHC that goes with it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Mike,

Keep the car.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
What Bob said.

If you want a component car, there are literally thousands sitting in garages in various stages of completion that some poor shlub bought with his home equity loan a couple of years ago. A large number of these things are being practically given away just so people can meet their mortgage and get the estrogenic taskmaster off their back.
And they gleefully make component cars every day.
They don't make cj ac 70 Cougars anymore. So, good choice on keeping the Cougar.

How about some pics of that rare beast?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy with the cobra is a old friend who ive done alot of trading with over the years. I actually got my first cougar from him back in 1984. I told him last night i could not do the trade even with all the other parts he was willing to throw in. Knowing now how many were produced i won't consider trading it off again. with only three being built it could be the only one still around. At the time i bought this car i was told only 5 of the 35 (428cj 4 speed xr7 hardtops) were in his cj cougar database. Mike

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
What about a "trade" that results in shared ownership of both cars? I only suggest that because he is an old friend. When I decided to do the CatVert project, I had been considering doing a FFR Cobra project. In the end, I concluded that both projects would cost the same (or about the same) and a Cobra would be a depreciating asset, since anyone else could build a new one for the same money. CatVert, on the other hand, became something pretty unique. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to drive a Cobra someday, though.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
What brand Cobra kit does he have to trade? With the Cobra kits you need to be careful and do your homework. Some kits are not made anymore and can be hard to find parts for if not complete. That said there are a lot of real nice kits out there. I had a FFR myself and would love to build another cobra someday.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There would seem to be a difference in a car that is one of one because it is a 428 scj ,drag pak 430s, red on red, and a 428cj that is one of one because it has a green cloth interior and a rear speaker in addition to deluxe seat belts . By basing rarity on everything including colors,options[including all the packages,xr7s,eliminator,etc],deleted items etc seems like there would be a lot of "one of 1s 2 s 3s " especially in the 428 cj cars . In the example of the green interior car,youd probably prefer to be in the 1 of 120 having a blue /white car for example. The good thing is the docs for these cars are out there to be able to know all this info

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree cj123 sometimes theirs a reasons a car is a one of one. (nobody else liked that combo). i was not trying to find a way to make my numbers crunch out to a one of one "which im sure Kevin Marti could do for me". This car is suppose to be Blue with white leather interior with black appointments. Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mike, I wasnt referring to your car only that the thread had a "one of "in it. 428/4sp/ac is about as good as it gets IMO,whether your car was one of one or one of 200,its a highly desirable and valuable car that I would never consider trading for a kit car cobra unless it came with a bag of $$ under the driver seat !!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Mike, I wasnt referring to your car only that the thread had a "one of "in it. 428/4sp/ac is about as good as it gets IMO,whether your car was one of one or one of 200,its a highly desirable and valuable car that I would never consider trading for a kit car cobra unless it came with a bag of $$ under the driver seat !!!

TESTIFY my brother! Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
A 1970 four-speed CJ with air? I didn't think that was possible.
I believe it was not possible to get AC with a SCJ / 4spd, although I don't remember why. I think it had to do with space in the engine compartment? So maybe there would have been interference between the AC and the SCJ oil cooler setup?

Anyone?

Oh yeah, back on topic ~ keep the Cougar, for all the reasons everyone has already stated :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Mike,
keep it.The kit cars are dime a dozen but the cougar you got is a black diamond in a ruby pile..

thanks
pat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts