Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.

What is a NOS 67-68 quarter panel worth?

Thanks,
Johann

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is it actually NOS or a Tabco reproduction? The late pressings, as their dies wore out, from Tabco were not very good,.....lots of wrinkles in the compound areas. If it is NOS, its worth is a little more than a grade A used panel,....then again, someone may loose their mind. I'm sure if the PMs have not arrived, they soon will.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't this one look like a NOS one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, let's see if this post goes through.

I have been trying to reply to this thread showing an image of the panel and it doesn't come through.

I'll try again with no image.

The panel has this reddish primer on it so I thought is was an original. It is the drivers side. Did the repos come with red primer?

The reason I ask is that I can probably buy it at a good price.

The catch is that I am located in Iceland, Europe and was wandering if it would be worth it to buy it and crate it and have it shipped to the USA (and maybe leave some money for my Firebird project ;o)).

Maybe I could go to the USA and take it with me as a luggage and sell it at Carlisle or something. I were there last fall for the swap meet and took a tail panel and a quarter panel skin for my Firebird with me back home in the flight. Just paid a little fine because of the too large luggage.

So can anyone give me an estimate of what to expect for the panel?

Regards

·
11,000 Posts
It does look like an original one. The picture is not terribly useful though. A picture of the other side would be useful to be sure, showing the spot weld seams.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The panel has this reddish primer on it so I thought is was an original. It is the drivers side. Did the repos come with red primer?

So can anyone give me an estimate of what to expect for the panel?
Not certain what a NOS '67/68 rear qtr panel would be worth today, but for historical purposes....

I bought an original in the box passenger side Mercury Cougar '67/68 right rear quarter panel from my local Lincoln-Mercury dealership in 1979 for $120.22. That price was for a dealership employee (my cousin was a salesman), so the list price would have been double that at $240. It had red oxide primer from the factory. It still resides on my '68 XR7 390GT car.

I also purchased a brand new left front fender from the dealership and it was in black primer costing me $98.12, meaning the list price would have been around $196 at that time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think you have found "The Holy Grail",....certainly looks to be an original. Need to ship that one to Dynacorn and pray!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I bought the panel

Here are two new pictures:

Sorry for all the dirt. The panel is at my brothers as it was almost 300 miles away from my home. I had these pictures taken to verify the originality and condition.

The Dynacorn idea is good. These should be reproduced. I will contact them and see If they are interested. Otherwise I will put it in the for sale section when I have made up my mind whether I'm going to ship it or take it with me to the USA.

Thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated.

Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still having problems with displaying images in my posts. It says it needs to be reviewed but I'm not sure the admins are notified.

Can somebody review it, please.

Thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'll try it this way:

I went ahead and bought the panel.

I had to send someone else for me because the panel was 300 miles away from my home. I still haven't seen it with my own eyes but I had some more pictures taken.

The quarter panel is a bit dirty as I haven't been able to wash it. I couldn't make a post including images that would show up, so if anyone likes to view them they should be able to google my flickr account by searching for pontiaconice (yeah, I know. I was in a hurry when making that account :sun: )

I will try to contact Dynacorn and see what they say. These panels should be reproduced.

Other wise I will advertise the quarter panel here when I have decided on if I will take it with me on my next trip to the USA or just have it shipped over there.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
C'mon Dynacorn...get 'er done right.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thanks for the pics Andrew. Johann, I noticed a yellow tag in the second pic. If you clean the tag before washing the panel, see if it has like a part or engineering # on it and post the info. IMO, it looks NOS, I have 2 repro quarter panel skins and the top of them only go up above the top of the long crease (doesn't go up into the roof pillar like yours). Also, on mine, where it would rap around the front (door jam) and the back, it's only 1/4" wide instead of 1/2" wide. John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help Andrew. I don't know why my posts that include images won't show up. Maybe because I'm newly registered?

I will take more detailed pictures later, including the tag and the yellow letters that one can see through the dirt.

I have already sent an email to Dynacorn. I'm hoping for a response next week.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK,

I've added four more pictures to my account on flickr.com. Just google pontiaconice.

It looks like one bracket needs a spot weld as it has come loose. It also has a dent on the upper rear corner.

The yellow sticker is just an old freight sticker.

I have had no reply from Dynacorn.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Here are the new pics:

Interesting tag, I don't get the date (unless they left the year out) and why it says 14 pcs. Just looked up the REK airport code and it's Reykjavik, Iceland.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Reproduction Skins???

All you guys i have seen you talking about reproduction skins that youve bought???? where are you guys getting these repro parts for cougars and how could i get my hands on some??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts