Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to introduce myself. I am a car enthusiast with a soft spot for FORD/MERCURY. I bought new a 2003 Mercury Marauder in July 2003, and this is my garage quuen still today. My DD is a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Love that car too. My Marauder is modified. To start it has an Eaton M112 Trilogy blower, 14" Baer brakes in front, cross-drillied, slotted and matching rears as well. There are other mods as well, widened rear rims, MMX driveshaft and loop, and aux tranny cooler to name a few.

I found this site as I was researching about a '69 Cougar with the following description below. 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 convertible that is show ready! Marti Report showing that this Cougar is a real XR7 and is the very popular 351 Windsor V8 engine and FMX automatic transmission combination. Brand new Bright Blue Metallic paint, original Dark Blue leather interior in excellent condition, new white automatic convertible top, and 30,000 miles on the rebuilt engine. One of 95 built in this color and trim combination. The numbers are matching.

I learned to drive on a 1972 Galaxie 500 2dr with a 351w 2v. Green with vinyl roof. Great car. I very much would like to add another Merc to the "fleet" in the near future. I really am probably not ready to make this purchase until next summer. I need to free up a monthly payment that will will be done in 7/12 first. I am really excited about the Cougar I found.

I realize this is my second post but I would enjoy hearing from the collective, as I am new to Cougar discussions regarding thoughts on this model. I like the convertible aspect. Is the XR7 a middle of the line model? How does the line up go. I also realize there is an Eliminator too. I ran against one of them last year at the local drag strip 75&80. The link is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWLe5rKRk8c Beautiful car.

He caught me snoozing at the light but with 404 HP and 440 LBFTTQ (rear wheels) catching him quickly was no problem.

I guess I am looking to see what years were "better" years and what models are more collectible than others. I have time to research and would really like to get a very nice Cougar that is restored and can be enjoyed for years to come.

Thank you for reading. Bill

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
And probably a few hundred pounds difference I'm sure! Welcome Bill.
Putting 400+ horsies to the pavement huh? What kinda boost are you running on that huffer?

Funny thing I was just reading about modular motors and which ones to keep an eye out for in the bone yards for the PI versions.....the Marauder was one of them along with police cruisers, some trucks, and Lincolns. (they didn't say aything about casting differences on the block for them though - I was wondering about that) My 98 truck is hitting the 250k mark so I've been thinking about a motor swap or rebuild (SOHC though).....IDK yet.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Bill, The XR7 is the top of the line interior wise. Below the XR7 is the Stadard(Base) and the Standard with Decor(optional).

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
03 Marauder is a pretty cool car. I still have the sales brochure and DVD I sent away for. There's a few of those running around town here. Welcome!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock boost with the kit was 9.5 lbs. I put a K&N CAI and swapped the stock pulley (3.4) to a 3.0. Now the boost is 12.5 lbs. Stock internals. This is the same 32valve that is in the MAch 1. These motors are different than the Cobras. They have forged internals.

And probably a few hundred pounds difference I'm sure! Welcome Bill.
Putting 400+ horsies to the pavement huh? What kinda boost are you running on that huffer?

Funny thing I was just reading about modular motors and which ones to keep an eye out for in the bone yards for the PI versions.....the Marauder was one of them along with police cruisers, some trucks, and Lincolns. (they didn't say aything about casting differences on the block for them though - I was wondering about that) My 98 truck is hitting the 250k mark so I've been thinking about a motor swap or rebuild (SOHC though).....IDK yet.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have had a couple of 03 Marauders. They are great cars. My wife totalled the blown one but she came home safely. Safe and fast cars with plenty of room and super mpg. The insurance co gave us an amazing settlement so they hold their values as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear it was wrecked, glad your wife was fine.
I have had a couple of 03 Marauders. They are great cars. My wife totalled the blown one but she came home safely. Safe and fast cars with plenty of room and super mpg. The insurance co gave us an amazing settlement so they hold their values as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts