Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I go around a corner around 15-20 my tires in front scrape bad, I'd like to lift both my front a tad, and my rear quite a bit. Are there any good packages anyone knows of where it could make it a bit easier on a beginner like myself? Also I'm interested in performance, any estimates on how much a shop would charge for parts and labor on converting to rack and pinion suspension? Like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyPtjBE5Jts (start at 2:30)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey I'm all for suspension mods to improve performance and safety, but are you running wheels that fit properly? If wheel sizing is correct, might just getaway with a heavier sway bar, stiffer springs or a bushing or two. BTW from your album pics, your ride stance looks perfect,....the higher it sets, the squirrelier it will handle. Noticed also, from the pics, appears that the front mount of the driver's side leaf spring is broken,...do you hear a clunk back there when you give it the gas???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello, sorry ive been busy with lacrosse all the time. Nonetheless I am back! I believe the wheel size is correct, although I have no clue how to measure/check....I'm a bit new to the car restoration thing, but I'm willing to do my work. How in the world can you tell its broken? And if you could please explain this mysterious front mount leaf spring it'd be wonderful. I do occasionally hear a clunk when i give it gas, yes. So, with those suspension repair kits, would it help the handling at all, would it make the front suspension stiff enough so I don't grind my tire?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
What he means is where the rear leaf spring mounts in front of the axle. The rear leaf springs have a mounting point in front of, and behind the rear axle.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey I'm all for suspension mods to improve performance and safety, but are you running wheels that fit properly? If wheel sizing is correct, might just getaway with a heavier sway bar, stiffer springs or a bushing or two. BTW from your album pics, your ride stance looks perfect,....the higher it sets, the squirrelier it will handle. Noticed also, from the pics, appears that the front mount of the driver's side leaf spring is broken,...do you hear a clunk back there when you give it the gas???
Here's the wheel sizing options that will work in our cars without rubbing, if the suspension is in good shape; http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?14221-List-of-Wheel-amp-Tire-Size-Combos

To the leaf spring observation,... Not sure if it's the camera angle, but it looks as if the drivers side rear wheel is setting to far back in the wheel well, it should be centered. I've seen that leaf spring front mount rubber bushing blown completely out, to where all that was left is the bolt and the eyelet.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Refers to the number of bolts / rivets that hold the ball joint to the upper control arm.
+1 on the amount (3 or 4) bolts to attach the ball joint to the upper control arm. Did you take your car to a front end shop and they told you that you need ,...this, that and the other or are you buying these parts to ensure that "it's all good again"?
BTW get Moog parts whenever you can,...better quality and heavier built products. One of the better upgrades you could install would be serviceable, meaning they have grease fittings, upper control arm bushings and they are not included with that rebuild kit

·
Registered
223 Posts
+1 on the amount (3 or 4) bolts to attach the ball joint to the upper control arm. Did you take your car to a front end shop and they told you that you need ,...this, that and the other or are you buying these parts to ensure that "it's all good again"?
BTW get Moog parts whenever you can,...better quality and heavier built products. One of the better upgrades you could install would be serviceable, meaning they have grease fittings, upper control arm bushings and they are not included with that rebuild kit
Back in the day I would have agreed with you. Moog went to hell years ago and is only living off their previous reputation. They might not be any worse than most other brands these days as its all cheap junk out there now it seems. Moog went belly up around 15 years ago or so and was bought out by Federal Mogul. They must have cut the quality or quality control checks as Moog parts started falling off left and right. Ball joints and tie rods getting sloppy or worse separating in under 10k miles, rubber parts splitting etc. I pulled my hair out for about 2 years trying to keep up with the warranty work. I finally said no more and started using mostly factory parts, problem solved. In the last few years many factory replacement parts are no longer of high quality. Motorcraft suspension parts are Moog. I'm installing tons of AC Delco suspension parts in all makes and models when available as they seem to be of higher quality. I still see loose low millage Moog parts coming in on customers cars at work to this day. So what brand parts should we use on our cats? I have no clue. If AC Delco has the part I'd most likely go for them as I have not had a single AC Delco suspension part fail since switching to them about 3 years ago.

Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the clarification guys, just bare with me here, I'm new to this whole restoration thing!

Mason

·
Registered
508 Posts
Moog is one of the lesser of the "evils" out there,.....and there is some down right dangerous parts on the market. I'd pay for quality, but quality is hard to find. Your being an experienced mechanic, who has gone through the headaches, is experience enough for me. Ask for AC Delco, will be my new mantra, cause I seldom get a part,....that I would consider safe and reliable, unless it's NOS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts