Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 3.00 non-locking rear-end. I ripped the tag off it myself. Now, my friend has a smooth slab of cement in his backyard, and today as I was pulling my car out (Testing the tranny after the shift kit problems) I dropped the pedal and made two very black skid marks, about 5 foot each (After that it continued into the dirt). I was very shocked, as I thought I had a one wheel drive, so I did it again, and had someone watch both tires in the back. And sure enough, BOTH are spinning.

Hows that work? :D

Chris

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
sounds like a posi to me. Just because it says something on the tag the only true tell is by opening the pumpkin and checking it out. but if your getting scratch out of both that is a posi or even a semi locker maybe hard to tell pull the pumpkin.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've seen non-locking diffs do the same....I think it has something to do with the amount of traction that both wheels have....if both are equal, then both will spin. Try your "testing" with one wheel on pavement and one on gravel. If it's non-locking, only should spin then.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could it be that the differential is in reallly bad shape and therefore behaving like a posi.

The previous owner of my car told me that he had that fenomenon when he bought it. He knew it was supposed to be an open unit but it still spunn both rearwheels. When he took it apart and saw how it looked, he changed to a fresh differential and it worked normally again.

Maybe too many burnouts(?)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol my car and too many burnouts don't go together :D I found out, that if you overpower an open rearend it will infact spin both tires. So it is normal. As for the axle being in bad shape, maybe, but it has lived a very good life with only 90k miles on it, driven by an old man.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok :) It doesn't seem like the kind of history that would produce a worn down car :)

Mine on the other hand has seen way too many owners who liked to drive it hard so... But that's hardly the case with your car I would think...:)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The tag on mine reads as non-locking too, but it is most certainly a traction lock, cause I had it rebuilt into one. Jack up the entire rear-end and spin one of the tires. If the other tires spins in the same direction, it is some kind of trak lok or locking rear-end. If they spin in the opposite direction it is an open diff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts